5

Uncertain loyalties
~
Rexton
~

Their travels took them far and wide, crossing the bounds of many fields and towns. Rexton was far from the Fenris pack, far from Cadence.

They slipped through patrollers guarding the Fenris borders effortlessly. It didn't take much as the vampires were swift in blending into the darkness and using the shadows to travel. But with now the revelation of the vampiric race being alive and well, werewolves and lycans alike have grown warier of what lingered in the shadows.

Finally, they had settled for a slow and humanly possible pace where everything wasn't a blazing blur.

Rexton had to hand it to her, Alexene was still as fast as ever. She was always quick and gracious on her feet — it was her age that granted her that.

The hybrid was swift as lightning but came close to crumbling to the floor out of pure clumsiness. Oftentimes, he would lose himself in the run, the speed too exhilarating to hang onto anything else but the brushes of the crisp breeze.

"You're still as fast as the night I first met you, Alexene." Rexton exhaled thoughtfully, lifting his eyes to whatever interested him.

They passed a lively town that was beckoned by lights and parties for a weekend night, then crossed into a graveyard. The place had no familiarity to Rexton, it was vacant and pitted with many graves that gleamed beneath the dimly lit lamp at the end of a path. A lake flowed near the graves and the tiny tides were as peaceful as the cemetery.

Alexene crossed the threshold of the iron gates and stalked into the eerie gravesite.

"And you're just as thoughtless. Honestly, you would think after all this time you could see where a log was miles away, Rexton." Alexene taunted, sneaking him a look.

Rexton frowned, but walked on beside her, ignoring the snide comment. That was precisely how they met.

The hybrid had finally caved and buried his fangs into the throat of a young girl, draining everything she was worth. It was a blindness act, Rexton was sixteen and was torn from what he was. He wasn't like his brothers, his pack members and nothing like his father.

Rexton Fenris was divided in two, ripped apart and no one around him understood. The need for blood always lingered on the tip of his tongue, yet he never had it. Until one night, a girl crossed his path with a gash on her shoulder.

Alexene Lavarus recalled hearing the commotion and she found Rexton not long after, a beast nothing like a lycan or a vampire.

Something worse. Something deadlier.

Alexene glamoured the human girl away from Rexton as her clutch to life was slipping. Rexton lost it, chasing after Alexene. He met his end by tripping over a log and tumbling to the floor.

It was enough for Alexene to take notice that Rexton was a being beyond measure and hissed her vampiric presence to him.

His brother taught him everything he had to know to be a moon-bound creature, but Alexene taught him how to keep his humanity at bay. That night onwards, Rexton never touched human blood besides his mate's and only quenched his blood from animals.

Rexton never saw his true self that turns by the taste of human blood, but Alexene did and it was enough to scare her off.

"Why a cemetery?" Rexton questioned as they drew away from the haunted sites and closer to the bank of the river where a willow tree danced by the whooshing waves.

"Rosewood cemetery," Alexene confirmed and scanned the quiet place, plastering her eyes to the ground. "There is where I kidnapped Cadence to recruit her to find you."