36

Doomed fates
~
Accalia
~

The tinkering, blinding glint of light that shone sent a flare in Accalia's chest and she squeezed her eyes closed.

There was no light down here. No glimpse of grace. It was a total absence of anything closest to the earth above.

And yet, a tickle of warmth heated her face and then she heard a sharpened hiss.

Accalia remained down. Arm tucked underneath her head with her other hand crossing over her face. 

A body stirred in front of her and she withdrew her arm, gripping her fingers tightly around Cadence's shoulder to keep her in place.

Accalia had only managed to get an hour of sleep after Cadence had finally ceased her wails and outcries.

Nothing could console her.

Huddled in the corner, Cadence's bloodied hands found the roots of her hair and her mask of makeup blotched into black and red smudges as her body shook with every shattering wail her mouth gave.

The world around her was blocked out and no form of human touch could reach Cadence. She was disconnected, her tears falling to the grimy floor, strands of hair tangled into her fingers as she gripped so harshly and her cries, those war-like, jaded wails screamed up to the skies.

Erisa couldn't speak to her, only sitting by her side.

Tala sat by the door and blocked her ears.

Alexene offered to knock her out, but Accalia refused that idea, even if it made the most sense at the time.

They were so far into the night, so deep in the ground, a consoling grip of darkness could give Cadence solitude.

But when Cadence would wake up, she would have to face it again. That pain, that never-ending sorrow, that reminder that Tristan was gone.

Like a child, those cries drifted into hiccups and became faint, she passed out across the ground after that.

Accalia had crept behind her, able to grip her shaky, cold arm and sleep finally consumed her too.

Again, a hiss sounded around Accalia and the sound of metal clashing against metal finally had her opening her eyes.

"Scared of the sun?" A male voice said with a crackle in his tone.

Accalia watched Alexene seethe in the corner, a shadow casting her face as she shied away from the brief speck of sunlight coming into the dungeon.

There was light. Just light that was untouchable and came from a tiny barred window.

Alexene would have to be on high alert in the days, dodging every glimmer and glimpse of sunlight that bounded off in the widespread dungeon.

The bulky guard banged against the metal door and his laugh boomed loudly around them. "Pathetic bitches. Wake up, foods comin'."

The guard posed in his wolfish form. Orange eyes, a sign of being turned by a fellow werewolf with canines grazing against his lips and slight tuffs of hair spiking out of his body.

His orange gaze found Accalia and he banged his hand against the bars again, his lip turning into a grin.

Accalia stared blankly at him.

His blood could be spilled, that thought quickly left her as Cadence slowly came to, her body shifting away from anything remotely close to her.

Cadence sat up and patted down her puffy, bloodshot eyes. Her silver dress was in ruins from tears and dirt. She rose to her feet and stretched her arm up into the air, hands coming close to the fractured ceiling.