13

The Messenger 
~
Accalia
~

Without a fight or even a negotiation to release Cadence, they slipped out of the club. They couldn't draw attention to themselves — not with the werewolf leading them into the frosty air.

Security didn't pay attention to them, the she-wolf waved them off and gestured to Cadence as her drunk friend she was taking home.

Cadence bit her tongue, as did the rest, but Accalia could see that black flame in her cousin's heart brewing, the urge to kill coursing through her like a disease.

What did this werewolf want? There was a long stretch of reason for doing this, all that connected to one thing or another reason entirely.

They left the nightclub, the music and smell seeping into an echo and the she-wolf took them around the back, to a dingy and isolated alleyway.

The she-wolf tugged Cadence like she was deadweight, digging her claws into Cadence's neck and dragging her further away from her family.

Rexton stuck near Accalia and Erisa as they watched in ushering anxiety. When they got too close, Cadence stubbornly shook her head at them and Rexton gripped them both by the shoulder, placing the girls behind him. 

"You got us out, we listened to you, now what the fuck do you want?" Tristan spat, his voice slightly slurring as he leaned against a wall to control his drunken self.

The she-wolf shrugged nonchalantly, but her sights settled on Rexton, the hybrid. "I told you: a catch-up."

"What do you want?" Rexton demanded, his eyes filtering from amber to blood and the whites of his eyes dropping into an abyss of blackness.

The she-wolf froze like a deer in headlights and she gripped Cadence harder, having leverage.

Cadence resisted the urge to cry out and swore under her breath.

Rexton was fast, deadlier than most, but he wouldn't take the chance, not if Cadence was in the way. He wasn't impulsive like Lycus, he was controlled like Gabriel.

None of them had a choice but to watch.

"Adriana hasn't had time to check in on you, so she sent me. To make sure you were faring well. Are you going well, Rexton?" Her voice purred into a vicious croon.

Adriana had eyes and ears everywhere, ranging from Alphas to werewolves. She had her fangs so deep into the lives of the supernatural and Accalia had yet to see her face, confirming her dark nature that had done nothing but caused destruction to their lives.

She was everything but nowhere.

Rexton froze, his hand planted to his sides as he shook with anxiety or adrenaline. Accalia couldn't tell.

Erisa took a step forward and sent icy daggers the she-wolf's way.

The she-wolf wasn't fazed by any of them, as if nothing could stop her from doing what she was acting on and she jerked Cadence back. "Back up, bitch. I haven't finished my message."

"Then get on with it." Erisa countered.

The she-wolf licked her lips and placed her chin on Cadence's shoulder, staring at Rexton. "You seem to be in good condition, Rexton. Although, it doesn't seem like you consume human blood. Adriana wouldn't like that."

"Where is Adriana?" Rexton asked.

The werewolf shrugged jerkily. "I have no idea, I'm just here to check on you."

Rexton and Accalia shared a cautious look. She had to know where Adriana was, where Lycus was — how else would she get in contact with the vampire? Was this her only mission, to watch Rexton? Was Adriana gleaming through the eyes of this she-wolf?