6

A touch of darkness
~
Rexton
~

Rexton couldn't breathe any easier. "That gives me nothing, that gives Accalia nothing. Why should it matter to me that you are the first vampires to exist?"

Warrin sighed soundly and wandered back over to the window, staring out. "Adriana and I are older than your brothers, we are older than lycans. We have been here a very long time, I have seen many wars, famine and pestilence and I asked Alexene to bring you here to say that attempting to find Adriana is worse than a potential war. It will bring hell upon us all."

Hell. Damnation. Rexton had heard it all before.

The terror it will invoke once Adriana had her hands on him. It was said for years, by the mouth of an oracle, that awful suffering would be unleashed if Rexton wasn't put away and out of the sight of Adriana's obsession. That was why Rexton was locked away.

"I know all of this, it was said by an oracle since my infancy, Alexene would have told you. My brother was taken and you are telling me to stop searching for Lycus and Adriana — how am I supposed to tell Accalia that?" Rexton demanded.

Accalia was leading Lycus's pack, doing all she could by sitting on his throne and utilising all she had in finding him. Rexton couldn't tell her to stop her hunt. That would be telling her to stop breathing.

Warrin and Alexene had no right.

"As far as I am concerned, hell has been upon this earth long before I arrived and beings like you, like me, are making it worse," Rexton said, feeling every sense of his words.

The vampire had an electric stare, a fixating glower and Warrin's vision seeped through to Rexton, seeing what was beyond.

"I haven't seen Adriana in nearly three hundred years, Rexton." Warrin began and leant his tall size against the glass. "The last time I saw her, she was close to a Queen. She mentioned bringing something stronger than vampires and lycans to this earth — and over one hundred years ago, you came. She has a connection to you because she could very well be your maker."

It had never crossed Rexton's mind, but Warrin uttering this, the suggestion coming to life, Rexton realised he didn't want to consider such a thing.

"That—that isn't possible." Rexton stuttered.

Warrin appeared sympathetic with downturned eyes and very gently, gentler than Rexton had heard a vampire speak, he continued, "Alexene has told me everything about your life, Rexton, only because I asked her. I had to know everything about you, why you were neglected by your parents, why your brothers became your guardians and why they were the very people to lock you away. With every information she had told, I can only theorise you were turned into what you are whilst your mother was pregnant with you."

Rexton didn't have time to stop him.

"Rexton, humans were turned into lycans on the night of the full moon, that's where the curse of being bound to the moon comes from. Adriana and I were turned on the night of the dark moon, I hardly remember the transformation, I barely remember what turned me ... I thought I was dying repeatedly until I became immortal. I was a sick man, very unwell and something otherworldly saved me, but it came with a cost. It is said we derive from demons — a creature from hell ... let's just say, that suspicion isn't untrue. After the turning, Adriana wanted me to join her, she craves connection but in a way of control. I refused her, and I had to leave my family because of what I became.

"I stayed away from Adriana for centuries, crossing her path from time to time. Soon her name became meaningless to me — something of the past. Then three months ago, Alexene said it to me and since then, we have been trying to find her. Before you and the Larren girls could. We haven't had much luck. Adriana makes herself known when she chooses. I believe your mother, who was a lycan was transmitted something during her pregnancy by the very thing that created Adriana and me. She could be your creator, but that truth will lie within her." Warrin seemed to draw closer to Rexton as he spoke, his eyes became bright as if a light was dropped into the red depths and made his orbs appear a shade closer to brown. Something similar to that of a human.