17

Longing
~
Rexton
~

Rexton couldn't place the pestering sentiment that stung the back of his eyes and it reminded him of being a young, scrawny boy with little to no might. When he was younger, he never felt the need to acquire the aspect of being valiant and mighty with his two big brothers being his guardians.

A sense of longing punched a hole in his chest and it had never been more prevalent.

Rexton was fairly capable of holding himself together, especially in the company of very two strong-headed huntresses. Being around Gabriel, the pressure on his chest pushed down achingly and he was waiting for his hold to loosen and let go.

Rexton had parents, but his brothers raised him.

Lycus and Gabriel were turned, along with their father and mother on the night where their pillaging and bloodletting had finally caught up with them. Rexton came after the curse, centuries later where lycans were known as the nightmares of night itself.

Gabriel being a lycan had not allowed him to lose humanity, if anything, he felt more than he ever had. His claws were pure and his raven coat ran with no scars – he had been untouched by the havoc of lycans.

But the Alpha had his moments, his moments that were darker than night where he let the pin drop and did what needed to be done.

Gabriel led Rexton further from the rundown cabin and closer to the woods where no wind cooed and no birds flew. It was quiet and desolate, much different to the Fenris lands.

"Angelus is growing every day," Rexton announced, thinking back on the young baby that made him jittery. He didn't know why, but Rexton was nervous around him like Angelus was too delicate to be in his grasp.

"He's a quiet baby, he hardly cries, much like you when you were younger," Gabriel murmured into the motionless air.

Rexton bit the inside of his cheek, his strides slowing down at a sluggish pace. Was there a reason for his quietness all those years ago? Rexton received a lot of harshness from his father and neglect from his mother, which was why Gabriel and Lycus stepped in.

Maybe his lack of tears as a baby had nothing to do with him being a lycan, but everything to do with him being part vampire. Rexton shuddered. Vampires weren't known for emotions, they were known for using others' emotions to their advantage.

If Adriana was his maker, was that why he didn't weep as a child? Her control had already done its work and writhed in his veins with cold-blooded vampirism.

"Alexene came to see me a few nights ago ... she had revelations that I am not sure I believe." Rexton felt his brother's eyes on him and it made him want to cower, tuck his tail and hide.

"She left quite suddenly from what I heard those three months ago," Gabriel said pensively, taking his hardened gaze off Rexton.

Rexton fiddled with his fingers. "Yes, but she left only to come back and tell me that Adriana could be my maker, that was why — is why she is still after me."

Gabriel's expression was unreadable and gave nothing away. Rexton couldn't detect any tell-tale signs of distress, not even an erratic heartbeat.

It unsettled him.

But Rexton had seen it all before. His mother, the reclusive and unemotional woman spared no empathy for what her mate put them through.

Gabriel shared more similarities to their mother, the softer features that articulated his face to be a prism of striking grace and the blue eyes that ran bluer and deeper.