36 ~ ewa agoyin

What I hated about going on trips was the packing up for it

What I hated about going on trips was the packing up for it. I’d been aware of the business trip to London a week earlier, yet I waited until hours before, to start packing for it.

I was running around my apartment like a headless chicken. Finding the right outfits for each meeting and the main event was tough, so I left it for last. I went about the house, picking up items here and there that I knew I needed. Only when I was sure I had them all sitting on my bed did I continue rummaging my wardrobe for clothes.

I’d done a little shopping, courtesy of Chima, the week before so I had new set of clothes to pick from. After picking the outfit for each meeting and spare ones, all that was left was an appropriate gown for the anniversary ball.

I’d had a very long day and if not for Chima’s reminder when he dropped me off earlier, I’d have gone straight to bed, forgetting all about it.

All the dresses in my wardrobe weren’t suitable picks for the ball. This hopelessness made me sit on the floor, my legs wide apart and my back resting on my wardrobe shelf.

My phone began ringing and thanks to my airpods I had plugged in, I didn’t have to rush into the room to answer the call. A tap on my airpod did the job for me.

“Are you still packing?” Chima asked, saving me the trouble of asking who I was speaking with.

I groaned. “Yes.”

“What’s left?”

“A dress for the ball.”

“What of that one you ordered? The one that arrived the day I came over?” He suggested.

I gasped, remembering the dress. It wasn’t hanging but rather, still in the box which was why I didn’t remember it. “Thank you.”

I got up and took out the box from under one of the shelves in my closet. I opened the box and one look at the dress and I was convinced that was what I was going to wear.

“Appropriate enough?”Chima asked, reminding me that he was still on the phone.

“It’s perfect.” I admitted, taking the dress out of the box. “Thanks babe.”

“Anytime. Anyways, I called to ask if you’ve eaten yet.”

I paused. “No I haven’t.”

“Okay, I’ll order for you. I’m sorry I can’t come over I have some things to do at the office before I head home.” I heard a car honk in the background.

“It’s all good. Thanks for the food!” I laid the dress out on the couch in my closet.

“You’re welcome.” I barely heard him say over the loud sound of cars honking.

I hung up.

After taking my time to admire the dress, I gently and appropriately folded it up into my suitcase. It was the last and most delicate so it was on the very top of the suitcase. I zipped it up and took it downstairs, leaving it close to my door.