13 ~ risk

Irvin's POV

Irvin's POV

It was hard controlling myself while controlling a moving car. All I wanted to do was stare at her all night long. She was beautiful and staring at her all day would satisfy me better than going to fetch some liquor for my conniving father and mother.

It was no shocking news that both our parents roped us into leaving together, and alone, to buy wine for dinner. I was sure if I checked the kitchen cabinets or even the fridge itself, we would find a bottle of fine wine siting there. Mum’s antics were expected but her method did surprise me.

“Can I play some music?” Emily asked.

I stole a quick glance at her and nodded, “sure.”
It took a while for her to find a decent radio station playing music that she liked and when she finally did and brought her hands back to her laps, an unfamiliar song was blasting through the speakers.

I listened to the song, trying to see if I could identify the singer and when I did, I turned to Emily. “Selena Gomez?” I asked.

“You know her?” She asked, now looking at me.
“Yeah, I’m quite familiar with American pop artists.” I admitted.

The shock could be seen on her face and it was cute.

I laughed at her expression. “What kind of artists do you think I listen to?”

“I don’t know, Wizkid or Davido or Burna Boy!” Even her voice was laced with surprise, making me laugh harder.

“I don’t really care for those artists, all I care about is listening to a song that the lyrics make sense, that’s all.” I answered truthfully. “Who do you listen to?”

“I don’t have a favorite artist because music has never really been my thing, but I do like Justin Bieber and obviously Selena Gomez oh and Adele, I love Adele.” She said with a grin.

If I wasn’t driving I would have stared at her and never looked away. She looked so cute with the way she spoke and I could see the admiration for the said singer in her eyes as she spoke. I only wished that she would speak of me in such a manner one day. With so much adoration and maybe love.

I took in a breath and slowly released it. Having her in my life seemed like such an impossible thing. The fact that I didn’t understand why she didn’t want me that way when it was clear that I had an effect on her. Why she was holding herself back was the question.

“You alright?” Her soft voice pulled me from my thoughts.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. “Yeah I’m fine, zoned out for a second.”

“What were you thinking about?”

I looked at her and let my gaze linger for more than two seconds before looking away. I wanted to be honest with her but my honesty would likely push her away from me rather than pull her closer.