23 ~ butterflies

A/N: I deleted the previous version of this chapter because there were errors

A/N: I deleted the previous version of this chapter because there were errors. There's also a slight change in the plot.

IRVIN'S POV

I checked myself in the rearview mirror for the fifth time, making sure that my face and hair looked okay. I adjusted my shirt and suit jacket again, used my perfume for the last time and after taking a deep breath I got down from the car. I walked to the front door of the famous restaurant with my head held high, like I wasn't a nervous wreck on the inside.

When she messaged me about the date, I couldn't believe my eyes and even as I walked into the restaurant, I still had my doubts about it because she never responded after I replied to her message. After her message popped up on my screen I read it through the notification bar over and over again before opening the chat page and responding but before I could respond, she went offline.

I went to bed thinking about her, the date and what changed her mind. It was a strange thing for me because normally I was the one who asked ladies out, not the other way around but her turning the tables around and doing the asking made doubt settle in my mind. It made me question her true intentions. Did she want to tell me off publicly or she wanted to just sit down and have a chat. I left my house with expectations of any result, either negative or positive.

"Welcome to The Lagoon, do you have a reservation, please?" A waiter asked as I stepped into the building.

"Yes, Emily Odita." I said with my fingers crossed that she got the reservation under her name.

The waiter checked the clipboard in his hands and nodded, "right this way sir."

I followed him and soon after we were at a table for two at the far end of the restaurant. There weren't people on the tables around us.

I sat on one of the chairs. "I'll just have a glass of water first please." I said to the waiter, rejecting the drinks menu he was offering me.

He nodded with a smile and walked away.

I checked the time on my watch and it was 6:25pm. She would arrive at any minute and as the seconds rolled I felt my heart beat faster. The glass of water came and I forced myself to take small sips.

I checked the time constantly and two minutes after I heard the click of her heels on the tiled floor and I knew she was the one. I braced myself to look up and when I did, nothing would have prepared me for how beautiful she was.

Seeing her again after three days was like a breath of fresh air and one glance at her had all my stress running for the hills. Seeing her on Wednesday and now, I could easily tell that something was wrong all week long. On Wednesday she looked tired and weak and I guessed my excitement of seeing her again didn't help me to notice. As she walked toward me, she looked stronger and healthier and it was not the makeup or the fact that she'd dressed up.