32 ~ see

IRVIN’S POV

IRVIN’S POV

I could sense her uneasiness simply by looking at her and her clutch on my arm did a good job of reminding me of the obvious.

I leaned into her. “There’s someone I’d like you to meet.” I whispered into her ear and she nodded.

I led her to the corner of the room where Francesca Bassey stood, admiring a painting on the wall. It had been years since I last saw her in the flesh so recognizing her wasn’t the easiest but her black locs was hard to miss even in a crowd.

“I wasn’t aware you were back in town.” I said as we approached.

She turned and when her eyes met mine she grinned. “Irvin! It’s been what? Three years? Four?”

“I believe it’s four,” I unlocked myself from Chidinma to hug her. “It’s good to see you again.” I admitted.

Francesca has always been the reserved type but in her reservation she was one hell of a woman when it came to using words to tell stories. She was an author, poet and a part-time artist, that’s how and why she rolled well with Deji. I believed she and Emily would make good friends, kindred spirits you could say.

I was about to release her from the hug but she held unto me tighter, forcing me to hold on a little longer. When she finally let go of me, I took a step backward, keeping the smile on my face.

“Francesca, this is Emily, Emily meet Francesca.” I introduced.

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.” Chidinma said with a smile, while offering a handshake.

“Oh, don’t be silly, come here.” Francesca pulled her into a hug and when she did, the look in her eyes told me that we had something to discuss after. I knew it was a discussion I wouldn’t like with the way her eyes pierced into mine. “It’s nice to meet you too.”

“Francesca is an author and an artist.” I filled in after they’d let go of each other.

“Oh, that’s interesting. What kind of books do you write?” Chidinma’s eyes lit up, showing her interest in the conversation.

“Murder mysteries, fantasy and a little bit of romance.” Francesca provided.

“I’ve never been reader but I guess fantasy books sound interesting to me.” Chidinma nodded, taking a sip of her champagne.

“Yeah? And what do you do?”

“I work with Odits Tech.”Chidinma answered but it didn’t sit right with me. She was more than just a worker there, she was the next CEO.

“Or more like the next CEO,” I added, clarifying things for Francesca. As much as Francesca was a nice person and would make good friends with Chidinma, she had this ego where she felt that anyone below her wasn’t worth her time. If she thought Chididnma was merely a worker at Odits Tech, she might not be interested in a friendship with her.