33 ~lies

EMILY’S POV

EMILY’S POV

I knew there was some sort of tension between Francesca and Chima but I didn’t think they were romantically involved. I thought it was maybe some quarrel they were yet to settle as friends.

When I excused myself from the people Deji had introduced to me, to find Chima, I didn’t expect to find him kissing Francesca. I ran out of there before he could know I was there. I was starting to think Deji knew about them and that was why he tore me away from them earlier.

It was weird, one second they were by the painting and the next they were gone. I had to pretend that I was interested in the conversation I was dragged into before excusing myself from their midst. Chima and Francesca’s lips together was an image that I would never forget.

“Chidinma, wait!” I heard Chima call behind me followed by his heavy footsteps.

I hastened my steps, not wanting to run because of the heels strapped to my feet. His long legs gave him an advantage and he held my arm, stopping me in my tracks.

“Chidinma please wait.” He pleaded.

“To hear you tell lies to me? I think I’ll pass.” I struggled to free myself from his grip but he wouldn’t let me.

“Chidinma please, it’s not what you think it is. Just let me explain.” He tried to get me to reason with him but I was livid. Nothing he was going to say would make me change my mind.

“No, Irvin! Just let me go.”

He didn’t let go of me and neither did his hold on me loosen.

“Please,” he pleaded again. “Just give me a chance to explain. At least don’t let us leave this place separately, people are going to ask questions and I’m sure you don’t like the attention.” He tried to reason and it worked in making me calm down.

“Fine, but we’re leaving now.” My eyes met his and if he could burn simply by my gaze he would have been in flames.

“Okay,” he let go of my arm then offered his hand to me.

I looked at his hand for a few moments before grudgingly placing mine in his.

At the door that lead back to the main door, I forced myself to smile before Irvin opened the door. Deji was not hard to find.

“There you guys are,” he teased as we approached him.

“Congratulations once again man,” Chima said and hugged Deji.

“I see, you have to leave early,” He smirked. “Well, thank you for coming, I really appreciate.” He turned to me. “And it was a pleasure meeting you.”

“Likewise,” I smiled.

“We should meet up for lunch sometime, I think the entire squad’s in town. It’s time for a hearty reunion.” Deji rubbed his hands together, still smiling,