2 ~ overpriced

The next morning I woke up to the shouts of my step sisters

The next morning I woke up to the shouts of my step sisters. I pressed my pillow over my ears but it still didn’t drown out their loud voices.

I groaned and rolled out of bed, the pad of my feet touching the cool tiled floor and sending a shiver through my body. It rained last night and the early hours of this morning meaning everywhere was cold, the tiles especially.

I was in Nigeria now and unlike the United States of America that was currently boiling hot, this time of the year in Nigeria everywhere was wet and somehow the people still called it summer.

Insert mental face palm please.

I hurried into my closet and slipped on a hoodie over the baggy T-shirt I wore to sleep last night and my plain cotton shorts before heading downstairs. I ran my hand through my tangled hair and sleepy face before yawning, my left hand going over my mouth instantly.

“Mum, tell Jemmy to give me my phone!” Julia screamed from the living room to her mother that was in the kitchen.

“Jemima give your sister her phone!” Rose yelled then a deep sigh followed.

Julia stomped her way past me and didn’t say a word to me as she climbed up the stairs. My eyes followed her till she was out of my sight. I shook my head and stepped into the kitchen.

“Morning, Rose.” I greeted my step mother and she looked up and flashed me a smile.

“Morning, Emily. sleep well?” Her eyes went back to the pancakes she was flipping.

I stood behind her, my figure towering over hers and my eyes scanning the pancakes in the pan. I hummed to her question in reply before walking away from her and to the fridge. I opened it and my eyes scanned through looking for nothing in particular before I closed it.

“Where’s my dad?” By the time I went to sleep last night he still wasn’t home.

“Still sleeping, he got home really late last night, and you were fast asleep by then,” she turned off the cooker and wiped her hands on the napkin laying on the island.

I watched her serve everyone’s food and I helped with the coffee. One thing Rose was good at was cooking, I gave her that credit.

“I’ll go wake my dad,” I said to her when I saw her walk toward the door.

I was out of the kitchen before I could hear her response.  I knocked on the room door when I got there and waited till I heard a groggy “come in” from the other side before pushing open the door.

“Morning dad,” I called as I stepped into his and Rose’s room.

He was in the bathroom so he walked out with his toothbrush in his hand. He ran back into the bathroom and after seconds of the tap running and him gargling, he finally stepped back out and engulfed me in a hug.