35 ~ patience

“You’re fired

“You’re fired.” I said to my new assistant.

As the new Vice, I had a new office and a new assistant. She arrived work, about an hour after the meeting was over. Her excuse was even what prompted me to fire her.

“I didn’t see the appointment letter until this morning.” Was what she said.

Her appointment letter was sent to her Friday evening, my dad said it and I checked with HR to confirm. Anyone that actually needed the job would have seen the letter moments after it came in. She looked clueless, he way she spoke irritated me and her outfit of the day was the icing on the cake. I was more than happy to fire her after hearing her silly excuse.

Helen had to act as my assistant during the meeting, successfully saving my ass.

“Ma, please.” She begged.

“Please leave, you have ten minutes to exit the premises.” I said not sparing her a glance as I sorted through the documents on my table.

This was the first time my dad was having a Vice so there was a lot to fill up. I had so much to do and I had a feeling that I would be in the office till night fall.

I called HR, asking them to send Helen to me as my assistant. They were definitely surprised to hear I’d fired the new lady they hired but all they could do was apologize.

In twenty minutes, Helen was knocking on my door.

“Come in.” I said, looking up from the document I was reviewing.

“You asked for me?” She stepped into the room, unsure of herself.

“Congratulations, you just got promoted as my assistant.” I said to her and the huge smile on her face made me smile.

“Wow, thank you ma.” She beamed.

“You know what this means right? More workload-”

“And a fatter cheque, yes.” She nodded quickly.

“Let’s get to work then, shall we?” I smirked.

With her smile still on her face, she left my office.

The rest of the day was spent with her in my office, both of us working together to sort out a huge pile of documents. We ordered lunch together then after eating we took a short break. I actually got to know a little more about her. She was the Ada of her family with younger siblings still in school, her parents were civil servants but with the hard situation in the country, that wasn’t enough to support the family. One of her siblings was studying medicine and we all know how expensive studying medicine is.

It was six pm when my phone rang. Chima was calling.

“You’re still at the office?” He asked after I’d picked the call.

“Yes.”

“When will you be done?”

I looked at Helen who was still nose deep in her laptop. “I think we’ll round up now.” At this she looked up at me.