Chapter 19: Photographic Memory

Julio's P.O.V.

"I did take the pills because of you."

"Why?" I asked more in a loud tone which sounded like I was yelling at him.

"You were going to leave me."

"And? You don't even like me anyways," I stated. "All we did was joke around with each other, sure that was fun in a way but you also annoyed the hell out of me."

"It was stupid," Ethan said, looking away from me.

"Yeah, it was," I agreed even though he probably didn't want me to.

"I know," Ethan added.

It was silent between us and I was left staring at the side of his face unable to find anything to say just to break this silence. But when Ethan suddenly stood up that's when I had something to say.

"I'm sorry."

Ethan looked down at me then I stood up. I don't know why I was apologizing. I had nothing to apologize for but in a way, I felt bad for being the reason he wanted to take his own life.

"Julio-"

"I don't know what I would've done if I wasn't here when I was," I went on. "And to think that it was my fault most likely would have destroyed me. I hate you with a passion but I would hate it if I lost you too."

There it was. His stupid grin. I rolled my eyes at the sight of it. "What are you grinning for?" I asked, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

Ethan let out a chuckle. "You care about me and you can't admit it? That's adorable."

I scoffed at his remark. "I don't care about you at all. I care about myself and the opinions of what people would think that my roommate is dead in our dorm room and then they'd think that I killed you."

"You? Killed me?" He laughed. "There's no way that would happen."

"Okay, whatever. Leave it to you to turn a serious conversation into a joke," I said then sat down on my bed, turning my focus to the ground.

I felt the bed sink beside me but I didn't give Ethan my attention this time. "Thank you," Ethan said, barely above a whisper. "Seriously Julio."

As much as I wanted to not look at his face again I couldn't control my actions and found myself looking into his warm brown eyes. "Yeah, whatever," was all I said then we both chuckled.

~~~

"You read my messages but didn't respond. What the fuck is up with that?" Miguel snapped at me.

Me and Gloria had both decided to go over to Miguel's dorm after class to finally get some time to hang out but I had a small feeling that I might get kicked out early.

"I could've sworn I did," I said. I knew I didn't but I feel like if I said that then he wouldn't want to rip my head off.

"Nope," Miguel said, shoving his phone in my face which was on our messages.

"Oh. My bad, Miguel I was half asleep last night."

Miguel let out a sigh then turned off his phone and flopped down on his bed. "It's okay, just don't do it again."

I nodded thankful that I got out of that conversation. I shouldn't have been that worried considering that Miguel could never stay mad at me for too long.

"So what's going on with you, Lio," Miguel asked.

"What-"

"Are you still going to move in with me or not?"