Chapter 1: Swanson University

Julio's P.O.V

"Julio ¡Date prisa! ¡Vas a llegar tarde! (Julio hurry up! You're going to be late!)" my mom called from downstairs.

I stood in the body mirror in my bedroom for what felt like an eternity. It was my first day of college and what better and smarter way to start it right after high school? It was my decision to make the move to college as soon as I could after high school, but I didn't realize that I'd be going through it alone for the first couple of months. All my closest friends decided to wait a couple of months to spend more time with their families. And I don't blame them.

"Julio," my mom called out again. "Let's go."

"¡Está bien mamá ya voy! (Okay mom I'm coming!)"

Okay, I lied it wasn't my decision to make the quick move to college right after high school. It was my mom's. As you can probably tell by now, she doesn't want me around. Ever since my first day of senior year, she told me...

~Senior year~

My mom sat in the driver's seat while we rode to school. I don't know why she did it because I already had my driver's license, but she would usually have something to say.

"I'm not kidding, Julio," she spoke, causing me to look at her. "When you walk across that stage you better be ready for college."

"I know mom," I sighed.

"Because your dad and I aren't going to baby you anymore." She turned into the school parking lot. "You're an adult now."

"So why do you keep driving me to school?"

"I can't take my son to school now?" She asked, looking at me.

"I'm an adult now, mamá," I mimicked.

"Watch your tone," she said, then finally pulled into a parking spot.

I took off my seatbelt and reached into the back seat to grab my backpack. I pulled it forward, landing it on my lap then opened the passenger side door.

"Lio," I heard my mom's voice speak in a soft tone.

I turned to look at her. "Yes mamá," I said, not wanting to hear what she had to say.

"Te amo. (I love you)."

"Yo también te amo. (I love you too)."

I stared into her eyes and already knew she wanted a kiss on the cheek and well me being me I can't lie I really do love my mom. So, I leaned in and kissed her cheek before getting out of the car.

~Present~

I rushed downstairs after realizing I wasn't going to get out of my first day of college and saw my mom standing impatiently by the door.

"Finalmente (Finally)," she hissed, then swung the door open. "Do you have everything?"

"Not Gloria and Miguel," I joked.

"Not funny, Lio."

I chuckled as I followed behind her and then closed the door behind me. She tossed me the keys to my black F150 and then got in on the passenger side once I unlocked the truck.

Gloria and Miguel are my closest friends. We've known each other since the second grade. Well, to be exact Miguel and I knew each other since we could walk. We met Gloria in the second grade. Miguel and my mom are friends which forced us to be friends, but we got along very well.

His mom loves him too much and can't stand to live without him. Gloria is an only child so no brainer there; her parents want to spend every second with her before she has to leave. And the story with me; I'm the youngest out of six. Do I really need to say more?