Chapter 23: The Reality of Heartbreak

Gloria's P.O.V

Miguel and I were both arguing back and forth in the living room at the location where the party that Logann's friend was throwing. At a certain point, I gave up on fighting back and just agreed (sort of).

"I just don't get why he would lie to me about it," Miguel said in a much calmer tone now while he flopped down on the couch.

"He didn't lie to you, Miguel," I said, sitting on the arm of the couch. "He just didn't tell you."

"Which is lying in my book."

"Well, your book is wrong."

He glared at me and then looked away, taking a drink from his cup which contained vodka mixed with something else.

"What were you even doing in his dorm in the first place?" I finally asked.

"He isn't answering my texts or calls so I just had to make sure he was alright," Miguel replied, looking at me again.

I raised an eyebrow clearly not believing what he said. "Julio?" I questioned and he nodded. "Julio Santos? Our best friend? Wasn't answering the phone?"

"Yes," Miguel exclaimed. "And now I know why."

"How'd you even get in their dorm?" I realized.

"They always leave their door unlocked," Miguel said, shaking his head.

"¿Qué pasa con ustedes, muchachos, y dejan sus puertas abiertas (What is with you boys and leaving your doors unlocked?)"

"Trust me," Miguel started, tossing his hands up. "If my roommate would remember his fucking key my door would be locked."

I chuckled just thinking back to that conversation but quickly stopped when I saw Julio enter the house. "Hablar del demonio (Speak of the devil)," I said, nudging Miguel's arm then once I got his attention I motioned my head to the front door.

Miguel groaned and then quickly stood up. "Todavía no puedo hablar con él (I can't talk to him yet). Can you-"

"I'll find something to say," I answered his question before he finished.

"Gracias Gloria (Thanks Gloria)," he said before walking in the opposite direction of Julio.

Once Miguel was far enough I called out to Julio a couple of times because of how loud it was. Our eyes met and I waved him over to me.

"I'm surprised to see you here," Julio said once he was standing in front of me.

"Podría decir lo mismo de ti (I could say the same about you)," I said before taking a sip of the margarita that was in my cup.

"Miguel?" was all he asked.

"He didn't want to come," I lied, averting my eyes to my cup.

"Por mí (Because of me)," Julio said and I could tell that he was hurting.

He and Miguel have been best friends for so long that I lost count of the years.

"What's," I cleared my throat now looking up to see Julio's eyes again. "What's going on between the two of you anyways?"

"He didn't tell you?"

I shook my head and then dropped my eyes to my cup. I wasn't the best liar and if anyone could tell that I was lying it would be Julio. "I asked him but he kept avoiding the question."

"It has to do with Ethan," Julio said, and then I brought my attention back up.

"Is this about him kissing Ethan?"