Chapter 3: His Friends

Julio's P.O.V.

"And that's pretty much it," my tour guide, Joshua, said once we were back at the front of the campus. He faced me and I faced him. "Any questions?"

"Just one," I said, pulling my phone out of my hoodie pocket. "Do you mind if I hang out with you for the time being?"

He stared at me for a while making me feel uncomfortable before I added. "I don't really have any friends as of right now and-"

"Sure," he spoke immediately before I could finish.

"Really?" I asked in shock.

"Yeah," he shrugged. "I've been in your shoes before. No one wants to be alone in college. Especially first years."

He rested his hand on my back as we headed toward the main building of the university. He kept rambling on about his first day of college, but I wasn't really listening. Instead, I was more focused on the staring faces on every corner.

"What about you," I heard him ask, which caused me to look at him.

"What," I asked.

"What are you majoring in?" He repeated.

"Oh. Um psychology."

"Oh, the study of the human mind," Joshua stated with weird hand motions that I didn't feel like questioning him about. "That's cool," he added, bumping my arm.

I chuckled. "Yeah. And you?"

"Business," he said with a grin. "I plan to open my own company one day. Just like my dad."

"Why not just take over your dad's business?" I asked.

"Kinda impossible when he already gave it to my other dad," Joshua said with a chuckle, but I noticed that he was hurt. "And since he's dead."

"Lo siento (I'm sorry)," I apologized under my breath.

"Huh," he asked with confusion.

"Oh, I said I'm sorry," I repeated. "I'm bilingual so sometimes I say things in Spanish here and there."

"Oh. That's cool. I know a little Spanish from when I was in high school. I never really..."

He went on as we made our way around the campus building.

💋💋💋

Once the professor began to end the lecture everyone gathered their things and rushed out of the room not hearing what the professor was saying about our assignment. I was still gathering my things together and heard footsteps approaching me. I looked up and noticed that the professor was standing beside me.

"Julio right," he asked with a raised eyebrow as if I didn't just answer all the questions in today's lecture.

I nodded with a grin. "Yes."

"You're new huh?"

I nodded again and pulled my bag up on my shoulder. "Yes, I am."

"Just a question since you answered all the other ones today." We both chuckled before he went on. "What brings you to a university like Swanson?"

I shrugged. "It has the best psychology class," I answered, which was true.

"Is that so," he asked while crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Yeah," I replied. "I want to be a psychiatrist and I figured I better get into the best class to be the best when I finish."

I chuckled nervously because of how long he was staring at me. I ran my hand through my hair and made my way past him.