Chapter 17: Time Apart

Julio's P.O.V.

"Good morning," Ethan said, after walking out of his bedroom shirtless.

"I'm still mad at you for kissing my best friend, Ethan," I said, walking over to the living room area with my coffee in my hand.

"At least I'm not fucking him like you are with mine," Ethan said.

"I'm not going to argue with you right now," I said, shaking my head, then sat down at the table.

"Whatever," he said. "I will say that I am sorry for kissing Miguel. But it meant nothing because-"

"You were both drunk. Blah, blah, blah," I said, cutting him off. "I know. I already talked to Miguel about it and yeah so what he kissed you that night. It's college, I get that now. People hook up. People make out. That's just how it goes."

Our eyes met and for once the air felt different around us. Ethan took a step closer to the table, placing his hands down to hold him up while he leaned closer to me.

"Honestly Julio," he said. "We were both pretty wasted." He shook his head then pushed off the table to shove his hands in the pockets of his plaid pajama pants. "But I don't plan on doing anything with him again."

I scoffed not believing him and brought my cup up to my lips. "Good. Keep it that way."

"But I can't promise that I won't talk to him," he said, meeting my eyes once I lowered my cup after taking a sip. "And before you say anything," Ethan added on quickly once my mouth dropped open. "I'm sharing my friends with you so it's only fair that you share yours with me."

I chuckled and then placed my cup on the table. "You're unbelievable," I said dryly. "But whatever. Sharing is caring."

"Don't ever say that lame-ass sentence again," Ethan said and together we both laughed.

This was nice in a way. Being able to laugh and finally get along with Ethan was actually relaxing. I didn't like the bickering about me hating him over my best friend which I will admit was pretty childish.

"There's something I have to tell you though," I said after our laughter had faded.

"Okay, what's going on?"

"I requested a room change," I said, not wasting any time. "It was convenient enough right after our argument. But that wasn't the reason that I wanted to move out."

"So what's the reason?" he asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Miguel," I said simply. "He's my best friend and well we've been talking about living together after high school."

"That's cute," I heard Ethan mutter under his breath. He cleared his throat. "You should get going then. Don't want to be late for class." Then with that, he made his way back to his room.

~~~

"I can't believe this," Miguel exclaimed as me, he, and Gloria all sat outside on the lawn at the front of the university. "We're actually going to be roommates!"

I couldn't help but chuckle. "It does seem that way," I said under my breath.

I was more focused on my phone than the conversation because Maxx wouldn't stop texting me. It all started after that party when she claimed I wasn't giving her any attention. This was true but Gloria and Miguel had just got here and I wanted to catch up with them.

"Girlfriend troubles?" Gloria asked and I looked up and both she and Miguel were looking at my phone.

"No troubles," I lied, turning off my phone, and getting their eyes to meet mine again.