Chapter 7: Gloria and Miguel

Julio's P.O.V.

It's been a week since I've been at Swanson and already, I'm starting to feel at home. There was another party on Saturday and honestly, I was getting tired of them. It was always the same thing: arrive, drink, play spin the bottle, drink some more, witness a fight, then run back to the dorms before the cops showed up. It's fun the first time until it's a recurring thing. Joshua and his friends are more welcoming than I thought they would be. Especially Ethan. His attempts of flirting with me at parties and in the dorms haven't gotten anywhere but his music finally got a curfew.

"Am I not attractive," Avery spoke in a frantic tone once she got to our table during Chemistry.

Joshua, Maxx, Andi, and I all looked up at the female with a confused expression.

"Well," Joshua started but was quickly shut down by Avery slapping his arm.

"Of course, you're attractive," Claire, the other girl from the spin bottle game, said then kissed Avery on the neck.

"It means nothing from you, Claire," Avery sighed then sat in the seat across from Andi.

Claire chuckled then sat beside Maxx after giving her a hug. Joshua turned around in his seat to fit in with the conversation before he asked, "So who would make it mean something?"

"Julio," Avery said, and everyone looked at me.

"What?" I asked with confusion as if I was spacing out the whole conversation.

"Avery doesn't think she's attractive," Andi filled me in.

"And she wants an answer from you," Claire added.

"So," Joshua spoke.

"Is she attractive to you?" Maxx asked and my eyes fell on her.

I could see the urge of wanting to know my answer and in all honesty, I was going to give them one.

"Sure," I said with a shrug. "Not to me but to someone in this world."

"So, to clarify," Joshua started but was cut off once the professor walked into the room.

"To be continued," he whispered, then turned around in his seat.

💋💋💋

"When are you guys coming?" I whined on the FaceTime call with Gloria and Miguel.

"I don't know," Miguel replied.

"My parents want to spend another week in Hawaii," Gloria said. "And we still have to go to Texas for two weeks."

I groaned. "College is really boring when you don't know anyone," I said, and we all shared a laugh together.

"You didn't make any friends?" Miguel asked, putting a bowl in the microwave.

I looked up from my phone and watched as Ethan walked past my room. I shook my head once I looked at my phone again.

"No," I lied.

"Just wait until we get there," Miguel exclaimed. "Our college life is going to be just like Saved by The Bell."

"I sure hope so," I said with a slight roll of my eyes.

"¡Miguel apaga ese teléfono y vete a la cama! (Miguel turn off that phone and go to bed!)" I heard Miguel's mom yell in the background.

"¡Dame un minuto! (Give me a minute!)" Miguel yelled back.

"¡No me dejes llegar a tres! ¡Apágalo ahora! (Don't let me get to three! Turn it off now!)"

"Guys I got to go," Miguel spoke in a low tone.

"Okay," Gloria said with a smile.

"Alright," I said. "Don't die."

"Tratare de no hacerlo (I'll try not to)," Miguel said with a roll of his eyes. "Adiós (Bye)."

"Ciao," Gloria and I said in unison then he hung up.

"So," Gloria spoke, sitting up in her bed. "You really haven't made any friends?"

I shrugged. "There's a group," I said.

"And," she urged on.

"And what?"

"And are they nice?"

"Well," I started then glanced up and I watched Ethan walk back into his not looking up from his phone as he closed his door with his foot.

"Sure," I finished looking down at my phone again.

We both laughed at that for a few seconds before changing the subject back to seeing each other at Swanson. Then she hit me with an unexpected question.

"Is there anyone special in your life right now?" She asked with smiling eyes.

I laid on my back holding my phone above my face and shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know yet."

She gasped as if she just solved an impossible case. "So, there is," she exclaimed.

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Why are you so excited about this?"

"Because," she spoke in a duh tone. "Lio, you haven't dated anyone since we became friends."

"That's not even close to being true," I argued back.

"Oh, really it's not," Gloria said, crossing her arms in front of her and I already knew she was ready for a debate.

"No, it's not," I spoke while thinking of what to say to defend myself.

"And why is that?"

"Because-"

"And don't say anything about Molly because that was the fifth grade which doesn't count."

I stared at her blankly then she grew a bigger grin on her face, already knowing that she won. I rolled my eyes and didn't even try to think anymore. I always hated how well she knew my thoughts before I could even figure them out for myself.

"So," Gloria spoke again after I finished blocking out her rant about whatever. "When Miguel and I get to Swanson are we expecting to see a girl under your arm or what?"

I opened my mouth to speak then grinned when I saw a message from the only person who knew how to make me feel weak. The only person when they speak Spanish, I feel some type of way.

"Lio," Gloria's voice spoke which caused me to zone back into the conversation. "Are we?"

It was quiet between us as I thought about what I was going to say and when I finally did Gloria grinned.

"Yeah."

❖❖❖

Coming up in the next chapter - Chapter 8: His Stare

I placed my hand on her thigh and slowly I began to move my face closer to her. I watched as she closed her eyes once I was seconds away from kissing her lips but the sight of seeing Ethan staring at me from the other side of the living room stopped me from connecting our lips. I don't know what it was but at that moment I couldn't kiss her. I stood up from the couch and made my way through the crowd ignoring that Maxx was calling my name.

💋💋💋