Chapter 32: Fell First

Julio's P.O.V

The week after left me busier than I wanted to be. With exams coming up and deadlines for my assignment approaching I found myself hibernating in my room. The only time that I would leave was to get my delivery food before I was back in the same spot at my desk. Miguel would come over a few times so we could study together but after he would leave to let his roommate in their dorm. I always wondered how he managed to forget his key every time he went out.

It was a Saturday night when Miguel and I were starting to wrap up our study session after four hours of work. We said our goodbyes and when I heard the door to the dorm close all I wanted to do was go to sleep. I closed my laptop and then stood up from my chair which was at my desk, stretching before falling face-first on my bed. I felt my eyes getting heavier but I didn't have a chance to close them because there was a sudden knock on my door.

"I just want to go to sleep," I called out. I knew my voice was muffled because my face was snuggled in my mattress.

"¿No tienes tiempo para hablar con tu propia mamá? (You don't have time to talk to your own mom?)"

The sound of my mom's voice gave me enough energy to quickly sit up on my bed. I looked at the entrance of my room and there she was, standing in the doorway with a big smile on her face.

"Mom?" I exclaimed in a questioning tone while I pushed myself off my bed. "¿Qué estás haciendo aquí? (What are you doing here?)"

"Por supuesto vengo a verte (Coming to see you of course)," she took the steps she needed so she could embrace me in a hug.

It was nice to be able to see my mom again. Ever since I moved into Swanson I could feel myself starting to drift away from her. All of our contact was cut from my schedule because of how busy I was.

"Dios mío (My goodness)," she said, stepping away from her with a scrunched-up face. "When's the last time you showered?"

I chuckled and shook my head at her dramatics. "No huelo tan mal, mamá (I don't smell that bad, mom)," I said.

"So I'm just imagining it?" she questioned, putting her hands on her hips.

"Probably," I said and earned a well-deserved shove to my shoulder from her.

"So," she started again, setting her purse on my desk. "Cuéntamelo todo (Tell me everything.)"

"I don't know where to start," I said, jumping back up on my bed.

"How about the part when you hung up on me without saying goodbye."

I thought about that night when I called my mom but I also thought about what to tell her about my reason for hanging up so suddenly. I didn't want to think about that night anymore. Not when I'm at this point in my life with the relationship I have with Ethan.

"Roommate things," was my answer after I collected my thoughts.

"Roommate things?" she repeated and I knew she wanted more.

"Yeah," I said with a shrug.

"Hijo (Son)," my mom sighed. "I heard the way you were calling his name."

"You did?" I asked with wide eyes.

"Yes. You sounded worried. Maybe even scared."

I let my eyes fall to my hands watching my thumbs cross over one another. This isn't how I expected our first conversation face to face to go. My mom placed her hands on top of mine, stopping my anxiety from skyrocketing. She placed her hand under my chin and I allowed my eyes to meet hers once again.