"Yes, I am... aware." Ruka said in a low voice, and he didn't miss the way her lips formed a tight frown.

Kyōjurō abruptly halts in his step, his gold and red eyes watching her form saunter away from him. There's a slight hint of distaste in her tone as she continues to move with effortless grace.

Fearing that he'd supposedly angered his mother, Kyōjurō hurried after her until he walked beside her again.

"But he's still a good father." He replied, trying to relieve the growing tension.

Yes, from the moment his children were born, Shinjurō embraced fatherhood with unwavering dedication and love. He'd train both him (Kyōjurō) and Senjurō in the art of swordplay and was always there for them, offering support, guidance, and encouragement in every aspect of the subject.

The man, without a doubt, was a pillar of strength and love, and it's what made Kyōjurō respect Shinjurō as a father.

But then his mother died, and everything went to rack and ruin. Shinjurō's heart became heavy with sorrow, anger, and resentment, and after discarding his role as a demon slayer and Hashira, he turned to the life of an alcoholic.

In a drunken rage, he cursed the demon-slayer corps as well as Kyōjurō's role in it. However, being the vibrantly enthusiastic and optimistic individual he is, Kyōjurō wasn't discouraged.

Despite everything, Shinjurō's boorish attitude did not stop Kyōjurō from donning Rengoku's signature haori and pursuing the path of a demon slayer. In fact, it's only pushed Kyōjurō to ever-greater heights.

Yes, it led to clashes between father and son and only drove the already present wedge even deeper between them, but Kyōjurō still loves Shinjurō.

The elder Rengoku just didn't want his family to get sucked into the violent, tragic world of demon slayers and demons, which Kyōjurō can understand.

"For years, father has stewed in self-pity and grief. He loves you, mother, and he misses you dearly. That's why he's bitter and angry. And he chastised himself for not being strong enough."

"..." The dark-haired woman says nothing, making him a little worried. Kyōjurō didn't want to see his mother angry, as he took it as a sign to continue.

"Father's not perfect. He's made many mistakes, but I chose to forgive him for his failings." Kyōjurō said.

"So please, mother, don't be upset with father. Please forgive him." He pleaded softly.

Suddenly, Ruka stopped walking, causing Kyōjurō to do the same, and for a moment, she said nothing. The silence that hung in the air between them was deafening, and it made Kyōjurō uneasy.

Had he unknowingly crossed a line?

Eventually, a laugh escapes her. It starts as a small giggle, barely audible, but quickly grows into a full-blown eruption of laughter. Kyōjurō is immediately taken aback.

Why is his mother laughing? He inwardly wondered, his curiosity piqued.

"M-mother?" He reaches a hand out to hold her own. Ruka's hand instantly wrapped around his upon feeling it.