The Survival Story of Katie Beers - Part 2

Unable to pass through, Katie tries to find a way to defend herself. The most useful object she finds is a keyring, which she hides under her mattress.

Shortly after, she hears footsteps, indicating her captor's return. He approaches, finding her in the confined space. Upon arrival, the man notices the open hatch, realizing Katie had attempted to escape. He first hits Katie as a form of punishment before raping her.

This is the reason for her abduction and captivity: beatings and rape.

Katie would endure repeated sexual abuse. When the abductor wasn't by her side, Katie watches the news on TV and notices that her case receives extensive media coverage. She sees her mother pleading for her return and Sal expressing his desire for Katie to be found safe and sound. However, Sal, who has recently been released from prison, is strongly suspected as there are allegations of abuse against Katie, which convinces Marilyn that he is behind it all.

 However, Sal, who has recently been released from prison, is strongly suspected as there are allegations of abuse against Katie, which convinces Marilyn that he is behind it all

The police do not dismiss this theory. Inspectors question Sal, who manages to prove that he has no involvement in the abduction since he was working at his garage when all these events unfolded.

 Inspectors question Sal, who manages to prove that he has no involvement in the abduction since he was working at his garage when all these events unfolded

Sal was telling the truth; he was indeed working, and numerous witnesses confirm his presence during the period when Katie disappeared.

It's a setback for the investigation, which is struggling at the worst possible time.

Therefore, Marilyn and Linda's schedules are also checked, but nothing indicates their involvement. The police then turn to the last remaining individual: Big John. He is asked once again to recount his day with Katie, which he does.

However, something doesn't add up.... 

The investigators manage to trace John's every move except for an unverifiable 1 hour window. This leads to 18 hours of questioning. While there is no direct evidence, the inability to verify where John was during that hour troubles the police, who don't want to miss an opportunity to find Katie.

They request a search warrant to search his residence and vehicle. His car is thoroughly examined, and inside, Katie's hat and jacket are found. These findings don't significantly advance the investigation, as the little girl could have left her belongings in the vehicle. Next, the house undergoes meticulous analysis and is searched twice.