Anne Hamilton-Byrne - The Notorious Cult Leader - Part 2

Anne proceeded to steal 28 children, leading to a name change for the cult to "The Family." 

We're now entering the 1970s, and Anne is in her 50s

Due to her hysterectomy, she couldn't have any more children

Due to her hysterectomy, she couldn't have any more children. Despite having one child of her own, she still wanted a large family. Since having children herself was no longer an option and the legal route didn't work out previously, she resorted to illegal means—stealing children.

You may picture Anne running around Australia stealing babies but it didn't happen like thatInstead, she used doctors in her cult, which is what made it so scary. The way Anne went about stealing these children is honestly just terrifying because she wanted to do it in a way that she wasn't going to get caught.

Once again, her trusted psychiatric hospital played a big role. Whenever a pregnant patient was in the hospital, Anne arranged for the doctors to deliver the baby and then take the baby for herself. 

These women were deemed unfit to be mothers because they were mostly teenagers. Therefore, they would be single mothers having a child out of wedlock in a psychiatric hospital. And because they were deemed unfit to be mothers, their child would be taken away from them.

Unfortunately, this practice is not exclusive to Anne and has happened in the UK, the US, Ireland, Canada, Spain, Italy, India, Argentina, and South Korea. It's absolutely disgusting.

Anne capitalized on the societal disapproval of teenage pregnancy and children born out of wedlock. So, whenever a patient in the psychiatric hospital was about to give birth, a pillow would be placed over their head to prevent them from seeing their baby. The baby would then be swiftly removed from the room, either for adoption or to be given to Anne, and the mother would never even catch a glimpse of her own child.

Anne stole multiple babies using this method. It wasn't just limited to her psychiatric hospital; she had a vast network of doctors who would keep an eye out for teenage pregnancies. Whenever a teenager got pregnant, they would essentially attempt to steal her baby, and in some cases, they succeeded.