Chapter 47: Martin Bryant - The Macabre Story of Port Arthur - Part 1

Hi, hello! How are you? I hope you're having a good day so far and I'm so happy to have you back.

Today's case is about Martin Bryant who caused the Port Arthur Massacre in Australia. 

Now, grab your wine, grab your snacks and popcorn and let's get into the story.

*****

To understand the ins and outs of our case today, we need to take a leap into the past and go back to 1967. 

On May 7, 1967, Martin Bryant was born in the state of Tasmania, Australia.

Son of Maurice and Carleen Bryant, Martin also has a younger sister named Lindy

His father worked as a dockworker, transferring goods from one ship to another, while his mother was employed in a chocolate factory

His father worked as a dockworker, transferring goods from one ship to another, while his mother was employed in a chocolate factory. She decided to quit her job after having her two children and dedicated herself to caring for them full-time.

When Martin was just an infant, he seemed to be an easygoing and cheerful young boy, but he began to reject physical affection around the age of one and a half. Despite this, he remained lively and curious, frequently running away, climbing, and escaping his mother's watchful eye, which often caused her concern. As he grew up, even in his early years, he frequently ran away from home, seeking solace in the fields to play alone. This pattern of behavior was frequent for Martin; he exhibited a strong tendency to run away whenever no one was paying attention. 

I'm sorry but running, climbing, and escaping from his mom's sight must have given her quite a few grey hairs. 

Carleen, Martin's mother, found his attitude exhausting. She felt discouraged and opted for a somewhat unusual solution to monitor him. In order to prevent his escapes, she decided to tie him to the porch of the house using a harness. She made sure he had enough toys to keep him occupied while he was outside.

Honestly, I understand why his mom would tie him up to keep him from running away. It's definitely an unconventional solution, but at least it shows how determined she was about ensuring this track star's safety.