The Black Dahlia - Part 2

The police administered sodium pentothal, also known as truth serum, to extract more information from him, but it didn't yield any new leads.

I don't think Robert Red Manley is responsible for the murder. He was cooperative and willing to help the investigation. He dropped Elizabeth off at the Biltmore Hotel and his alibi checked out. 

He had a history of mental illness, which led to his discharge from military service. Later, he was committed to a mental hospital in 1954 and died from an accidental fall on January 16, 1986. 

He was definitely a philanderer, probably not a great husband, struggled with mental illness but I don't think he murdered her

There are interesting theories surrounding Mark Hansen. He was an immigrant, a ladies' man, a business owner, and was known to prey on young women in vulnerable situations. Elizabeth had stayed with him on and off before her death, and he had shown an interest in her. On January 8th, 1947, Elizabeth called Mark Hansen from San Diego.

What did she say to him on this phone call? Well, we'll never know.

Here's what I think happened during that call: Elizabeth informed Hansen that she was in San Diego but planned to find a ride to Los Angeles the next day and asked where they should meet. It's likely that he suggested the Biltmore Hotel, considering it was a place frequented by someone like Mark Hansen.

The question is, was Mark Hansen the man who pulled up and spoke to her through the window? If we think about it, she seemed to be waiting for someone and appeared to recognize the person she was meeting. Her time at the house where she was staying had run out, and Mark Hansen's boarding house for young women had been her go-to option when she had no other choices.

According to the book "Black Dahlia, Red Rose" by Piu Eatwell, there is a theory that suggests Mark Hansen committed the crime but left the actual killing to someone else— a young man named Leslie Dillon. 

Dillon was a 27-year-old bellhop, aspiring writer, and former mortician's assistant who had ties to the mob and Mark Hansen

Dillon was a 27-year-old bellhop, aspiring writer, and former mortician's assistant who had ties to the mob and Mark Hansen. In 1948, Dillon wrote to Los Angeles Police Department Psychiatrist Dr. J. Paul De River under the pseudonym Jack Sand.