Chapter 16: Barbara Daly Baekeland - A Twisted Mother-Son Bond

Hi, hello! How are you? I hope you're having a good day so far and I'm so happy to have you back.

This story's really interesting and kinda gross too, to be honest. Soo... you know that's right up my ally.

Now, grab your wine, grab your snacks and popcorn and let's get into the story.

***

Barbara Daly was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1922 and was an only child. 

I didn't come across any information about siblings. 

When she was just 11 years old, in January of 1933, her father tragically took his own life by locking himself in the car in the garage and succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust

When she was just 11 years old, in January of 1933, her father tragically took his own life by locking himself in the car in the garage and succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust. Barbara was the one who discovered him. 

I can't even imagine how that affects a poor child.

After her father's suicide, Barbara and her mother were left waiting for the life insurance payout to arrive. 

Back in 1933, life insurance was different and you could get life insurance if somebody committed suicide. Today, I think if you commit suicide, you don't get life insurance. I could be wrong, though. It might be a fixed amount or something which is so stupid but that's... nevermind.

Once Barbara's mother received a good amount of money when the life insurance payout came through, they relocated to New York City, specifically staying at the Delmonico Hotel.

From what I understood from the articles I read, the Delmonico Hotel used to be quite exclusive and elite. It's no longer around, though. In 2001, Trump bought the hotel for $115 million and transformed it into the Trump Park Avenue.

They must have received a considerable sum to be able to stay there. From my understanding, they weren't wealthy to begin with, so it does raise suspicions. Could it be possible that the mother had a hand in her husband's death? Alright, I'll shush.

Now, Barbara and her mother find themselves in New York City, and despite being in her early twenties, Barbara quickly becomes a prominent socialite.

To my knowledge, a socialite is someone who is very wealthy, frequently attending various parties and exclusive events, including those high-end restaurants you can never get a reservation at. Essentially, it's someone who excels at networking. I actually looked it up, and the definition says that a socialite is a person who is well-known in fashionable society and enjoys social activities and entertainment. It's the same thing.