Story Idea #17: Kitana against a certain Japanese Demon.

Kitana had always been fascinated by Japan, the land of her lover Liu Kang's ancestors. She had heard stories of its rich culture, history, and mythology, and wanted to see it for herself. She decided to take a trip there, using her magic to disguise herself as a human woman. She wore a simple blue dress and carried a backpack with some essentials, including her steel fans.

She arrived in Kyoto, the former capital of Japan and a city full of ancient temples and shrines. She marveled at the beauty and tranquility of the place, feeling a connection to its spiritual energy. She visited some of the famous landmarks, such as the Kiyomizu-dera temple and the Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine. She also enjoyed sampling some of the local cuisine, such as sushi, ramen, and mochi.

She decided to spend the night at a traditional inn, or ryokan, where she was greeted by a friendly old woman who showed her to her room. The room was small but cozy, with a tatami mat floor, a futon bed, and a sliding paper door. Kitana thanked the woman and settled in for the night.

She woke up early the next morning, feeling refreshed and eager to explore more of Japan. She decided to take a hike in the nearby mountains, hoping to see some of the natural beauty of the country. She packed her backpack with some water and snacks, and headed out.

She followed a trail that led her deeper into the forest, enjoying the fresh air and the sound of birdsong. She admired the greenery and the flowers that dotted the landscape, feeling a sense of peace and wonder. She came across a small stream that flowed over some rocks, creating a soothing melody. She decided to take a break there, sitting on a large boulder and taking out her water bottle.

She was about to take a sip when she heard a loud roar that echoed through the trees. She froze, feeling a surge of fear and adrenaline. She looked around, trying to locate the source of the sound. She saw nothing but shadows and branches.

She reached for her backpack, hoping to grab her fans before whatever made that noise found her. But before she could do so, she saw a large figure emerge from behind a tree. It was humanoid in shape, but much bigger than any human she had ever seen. It had red skin covered with black hair, two curved horns on its head, and three yellow eyes that glared at her with malice. It had sharp teeth that dripped with saliva, and long claws that gripped a metal club.

It was an oni, a demon from Japanese folklore.

A/N: From D4rkharlequin on DeviantArt.

Kitana felt a chill run down her spine as she recognized the creature. She had fought many demons in her life, especially those from the Netherrealm, but this one was different. It had an aura of primal savagery and ancient evil that made her shudder.

The Oni roared again, raising its club and charging at her. Kitana barely had time to dodge its swing, rolling off the boulder and landing on her feet. She quickly grabbed her fans from her backpack and snapped them open, ready to fight.