Story Idea #15: What if Athena overthrew Zeus?

A/N: For people that are curious, Athena's portrayal in this story idea is more like her Original Greek version, not Ovid's version, which I wasn't really fond of Athena's portrayal in Ovid's interpretation.

A/N: Just a reminder, there are different versions of Greek myths. Therefore, the portrayals of the Olympians are different in each one. So there isn't really a cannon version of the myths. This also applies to other mythologies as well.

https://youtu.be/t4opk_uULCQ

Athena had always been loyal to her father Zeus, the king of the gods, but she could not stand his arrogant and hedonistic behavior any longer. He was constantly cheating on his wife Hera, raping and seducing mortal women, and causing trouble for both gods and humans. He was also neglecting his duties as a ruler, letting the other gods do as they pleased, and ignoring the pleas and prayers of his worshippers. Athena, as the goddess of wisdom and war, felt that Zeus was unworthy of his throne, and that she could do a better job of governing the cosmos.

She decided to overthrow her father, and gathered some allies among the gods who shared her discontent. Among them were Apollo and Artemis, the twin gods of light and hunting, who resented Zeus for his favoritism towards their half-brother Hermes; Hephaestus, the god of fire and crafts, who hated Zeus for throwing him off Olympus when he was a baby; and Hestia, the goddess of hearth and home, who despised Zeus for his infidelity and violence. Together, they plotted to ambush Zeus when he was sleeping with one of his mortal lovers, and bind him with chains forged by Hephaestus.

The plan went smoothly, and soon Zeus was captured and imprisoned in a secret cave in the depths of Tartarus. Athena then proclaimed herself as the new queen of Olympus, and announced her reforms to the other gods. She declared that she would rule with justice and wisdom, and that she would respect the rights and dignity of both gods and mortals. She also abolished the practice of divine rape, and forbade any god from interfering with the free will of mortals. She promised to reward those who honored her with wisdom and skill, and to punish those who defied her with war and strife.

Most of the gods accepted Athena's rule, either out of admiration or fear. Some even rejoiced at the fall of Zeus, such as Hera, who was finally free from her husband's abuse; Demeter, who blamed Zeus for allowing Hades to abduct her daughter Persephone; and Dionysus, who resented Zeus for killing his mother Semele. However, some gods remained loyal to Zeus, and refused to acknowledge Athena's authority. Among them were Poseidon, Zeus's brother and rival, who coveted the throne for himself; Ares, the god of war, who loved Zeus for his brutality; Aphrodite, the goddess of love, who enjoyed Zeus's lust; and Hermes, the god of thieves, who admired Zeus's cunning.

These gods formed a resistance against Athena, and tried to free Zeus from his prison. They also stirred up trouble among mortals, inciting them to rebel against Athena's laws. They spread rumors that Athena was a tyrant who wanted to suppress their natural desires and passions. They encouraged them to worship other gods who offered them more pleasure and freedom. They also sabotaged Athena's projects and temples, causing chaos and destruction.

Athena was furious at these acts of defiance, and declared war on the rebels. She mobilized her army of loyal gods, heroes, and creatures, such as Pallas, her childhood friend and guardian; Nike, the goddess of victory; Bellerophon, the slayer of the Chimera; Pegasus, the winged horse; Athena's sacred owl; and many others. She also enlisted the help of some Titans who were enemies of Zeus, such as Prometheus, the benefactor of mankind; Themis, the goddess of law; Metis, Athena's mother whom Zeus had swallowed; and Atlas, who bore the weight of the sky.