Fun Story #33 Samhain Special: The Wild Hunt.

The night was dark and stormy, and the wind howled like a banshee. The Cŵn Annwn ran through the fields and forests, their white fur glowing in the moonlight and their red ears flapping in the breeze. Their barking echoed across the land, louder when they were far away and softer when they were near. They followed Arawn's scent, which led them to the sinners and the wicked.

One of them was a thief who had stolen from his neighbors and lied to his friends. He heard the barking and felt a cold sweat on his brow. He grabbed his bag of loot and ran out of his house, hoping to escape to the next village. But as soon as he stepped outside, he saw a pack of Cŵn Annwn coming towards him. He turned around and tried to run back inside, but it was too late. The hounds pounced on him and tore him apart, leaving nothing but bones and blood.

Another one was a murderer who had killed his wife and children in a fit of rage. He heard the barking and felt a pang of guilt in his heart. He knelt down by the fireplace and prayed for forgiveness, hoping to appease the gods. But as soon as he finished his prayer, he saw a pair of Cŵn Annwn standing in front of him. They looked at him with pity and anger, then bit his neck and dragged him away, leaving nothing but ashes and smoke.

Another one was a witch who had cursed her enemies and harmed her rivals. She heard the barking and felt a surge of fear in her soul. She grabbed her wand and her book of spells and ran to her cellar, hoping to hide behind her magic. But as soon as she reached the bottom of the stairs, she saw a group of Cŵn Annwn waiting for her. They snarled at her and spat fire, then burned her alive, leaving nothing but dust and sparks.

The Cŵn Annwn continued their hunt until dawn, when they returned to Arawn with their trophies. Arawn praised them for their work and rewarded them with food and drink. He then opened a portal to Annwn and led them back to his realm, where they rested until the next Wild Hunt.

The people of the land woke up to a scene of horror and devastation. They saw the remains of the wrongdoers scattered around their homes and fields, and they felt a mix of relief and dread. They knew that the Cŵn Annwn had done justice, but they also knew that they could be next if they ever sinned or angered Arawn. They decided to live more virtuously and honorably from then on, hoping to avoid the wrath of the hounds of Annwn.

A/N: I apologize for the shortness, but here it is.

A/N: Wales is part of the UK. It's considered to be a Celtic nation.

A/N: In Welsh Mythology, the Cŵn Annwn were the spectral hounds of Annwn, the otherworld of Welsh myth. They were associated with a form of the Wild Hunt, presided over by either Arawn, king of Annwn in Pwyll Pendefig Dyfed (Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed), the First Branch of the Mabinogi and alluded to in Math fab Mathonwy (Math, the son of Mathonwy) the Fourth Branch of the Mabinogi, or by Gwyn ap Nudd as the underworld king and king of the fairy folk is named in later medieval lore. Their growling is loudest when they are at a distance, and as they draw nearer, it grows softer and softer. Their coming is generally seen as a death portent. The Cŵn Annwn are associated with death, as they have red ears. The Celts associated the colour red with death. White is associated with the supernatural, and white animals are commonly owned by gods or other inhabitants of the Otherworld.

A/N: Arawn was the king of the otherworld realm of Annwn who appears prominently in the first branch of the Mabinogi, and alluded to in the fourth. In later tradition, the role of the king of Annwn was largely attributed to the Welsh psychopomp, Gwyn ap Nudd - meaning "white" (i.e. 'winter') a possible kenning for his true name. However, Arawn's memory is retained in a traditional saying found in an old Cardigan folktale:

Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn "Long is the day and long is the night, and long is the waiting of Arawn"

A/N: Anyways, I hope you enjoy this one! For the Wattpaders that celebrate Samhain, I hope you had a good time at the festival! See ya 👋!