52

One year later...

"Holly, are you ready yet?!" Ben shouts at the bottom of the stairs.

"Almost!" I shout back and take one more glance in the mirror. We're getting ready to visit Leila and Pete. Since her move to Bristol earlier this year, we've worked hard to organise regular trips to see them. Leila seems much happier now she and Pete are together. And although they live together, they still have separate bedrooms. Leila says it's for her independence, but Ben thinks it's more than likely because Pete is such a bloody loud snorer.

"Well hurry up! We're going to be late!"

I walk down the stairs with my bags in tow. "What's the rush? It's Bristol!" I say huffily.

"I've told you already, I need to make a slight detour first..." he says, taking the bags out of my hand as I reach the bottom step.

"Yeah, but you haven't told me where we're going..."

"It's an early birthday and anniversary surprise." Ben's decided that our two-year anniversary is the day before my birthday – the day he took me to London. He says it was the first time he knew he'd fallen for me... even if he couldn't fully admit it at the time.

"I'm just gonna say bye to mum and dad, meet you at the car?" I ask and he smiles.

"Sure – San, John, I'm off, see you on Tuesday! Oh, and San, mum said she'll call you in the morning about going to the car boot sale."

"Thanks love!" my mum calls back and Ben heads outside.

I walk into the kitchen to find mum and dad at the island. "Right, we're off then."

Mum and dad look surprisingly chirpy.

"Oh, have a wonderful time love, text us when you get there, ok?" mum says, giving me a hug.

"Take care, darling." Dad says, and scruffs my hair lightly, making my eyes roll.

We set off, heading towards Barnet. "Did you forget something?" I ask, confused.

"Nope... detour, remember?" he says, grinning wildly. We get to a small avenue, and I feel even more confused when we pull up outside a small house.

"Ben, where are we?"

He's still grinning as he unplugs his seatbelt and climbs out the car. "Come on!" he calls excitedly, and I exit the vehicle.

He walks over to the door and brandishes a set of keys to the cornflower blue front door. Opening it, we walk into an empty property.

"Well?" he asks, walking through the hallway and into the living room.

"It's nice... who's place is it?"

"It's ours..." he says, turning to face me. "Happy anniversary." I stand there in shock for a moment.

"What do you mean?" I ask carefully.

"... I can't imagine life without you. We spend almost every single day with each other, and I don't ever want that to change. So, I spoke with my mum, and your mum and dad to get their permission for us to move in together."

"What did they say?" I ask, walking through the living room and into the open plan kitchen diner. Looking out the window, I can see a small garden to the back.

"Come and take a look upstairs!" he gushes and leads me by the hand up the staircase. There are two rooms, one considerably smaller than the first and a small bathroom. It's perfect.

"So, what did my parents say?" I ask again, still dumbfounded. He laughs lightly.

"They said as long as they can come and visit whenever they like and we still come round regularly for Sunday dinners and the like, they gave their blessing."

My chest feels with warmth, as I look around one more time. "I can't believe this... can we afford it?"

He laughs and wraps his arm around me. "Yes, baby... I've worked it all out. Don't worry." He says dismissively.

I stand there bewildered, staring at the beautiful home.

"So? Will you move in with me?" he asks, eyes hopeful.

"Yes!" I say excitedly, jumping into his arms. He staggers back but holds onto me tightly.

"Welcome home, baby."

I squeal with excitement. "So, when are we moving in?"

"Our parents are going to start moving things across while we're in Bristol. I was hoping for the day after your birthday?"

"Hang on, that's Wednesday! That doesn't leave me long to pack."

"Baby, we're five minutes from your mum and dad's house, and mine... we'll do it slowly. I just want to wake up next to you, in a place that's all our own."

"Sounds perfect." I admit, and he kisses me softly on the lips.

"Right, let's lock up and get on the road... Bristol awaits!"

We walk back outside, and I watch as Ben locks the door on our new home. I still can't actually believe it.

When we get back into the car, he puts on his seatbelt and stops to stare at me for a moment.

"I love you." He says, cupping my face in his hand. I turn my face to feel his caress and reply, "I love you more."

"Not possible." He says grinning and turns on the ignition.