29

An hour and a half later, I arrive in High Barnet and make the walk up the hill to our old faithful Misty Moon pub. I order a white wine spritzer – it's daytime after all and take a seat in the garden for a much-needed cigarette.

Lighting up, I take my phone out my bag for a scroll through social media and notice a message from Keaton:

Was really good to see you today - chat soon x

Still feeling a little freaked out by the conversation with Leila, I hold off responding and instead, put my headphones in to listen to some music. I text Leila to let her know I've arrived and then pull out my sunglasses. It's a warm summer's day and I finally start to relax as I sip my wine and listen to some Harry Styles.

After casually bopping my head with my eyes closed for a good 10 minutes, I faintly hear my name over the music. I open my eyes and lift up my sunglasses to see Pete, with a huge smirk on his face. It's been months since we last spoke or saw each other and I immediately feel self-conscious. I pull the headphones from my ears, "Pete! You startled me!" I say, standing to give him a friendly hug.

"Hello stranger! You looked like you were having a lovely time - almost a shame to disturb you!"

My cheeks flame with embarrassment and I give him a shy smile.

"So, how have you been? It's been... ages."

He raises his hand to the back of his head, and I can't help but notice he's cut his hair and has definitely been working out. He looks good, no, he looks great. If a little freaked out to see me.

"It has... I'm good thanks. Just biding my time before I head off to uni."

"That's great! Where are you going?" I say, gesturing him to sit at the table with me.

He looks unsure. "You're... not waiting here for anyone, are you?"

"Just Leila - please, take a seat."

He smiles, sits himself down in the chair opposite me and peers down at his phone.

"I'm off to Bristol... decided to take the plunge. What about you?"

"Oh wow, that's great news! Congratulations! I... got into Brunel and Middlesex, but I've not made my decision yet."

"When's the deadline?" He asks but seems a little preoccupied.

"Erm... Friday? So, I've got time."

"Yeah, you'll be fine." He smiles and his eyes crease a little at the sides as he looks over at the door. He seems on edge.

"What's going on, Pete? You seem weird."

"Nothing... what do you mean?" His answer is a little hostile and I know he's lying.

"Bullshit! I can tell something's up."

"It's just..." he sighs, "Ben's on his way here. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned it straight away, but I was just so surprised to see you!"

A flicker of panic runs through me but I suppress it fast. "Oh! I should've guessed when I saw you that he wouldn't be far behind."

Relief sets across his face. "So, you're not mad?"

"No, of course not. We were bound to bump into each other again... wasn't expecting it to be today but –"

As if on cue, the door swings open and Ben walks through, smiling. His hair is longer and a lot messier, and his usually clean-shaven appearance has been replaced with some serious stubble.

He freezes in place and his happy smile disappears, replaced by total shock. I smile politely at him before turning back to the table. Without a second thought, I reach for another cigarette.