31

Back in the club, I head over to everyone, and we waste no time in getting back onto the dancefloor. When an unfamiliar song comes on, we take that as our cue to head over to the bar for another drink. Mark has been looking at Leila like a lost puppy all evening, so as the boys queue for the drinks, I ask her "Have you spoken to Mark yet?"

"No, and I don't think I will... what is there to say, really? His silence has spoken more than any of his words."

"He's been looking at you all night and you have a right to find out why he's been such a prick!"

She sighs and adjusts her dress a little.

"Just go over there and ask him to come outside for a talk – what's the worst that could happen?"

She nods, standing a little taller and walks over to him. I watch as she leans into him, and he nods emphatically.

A few minutes later, Pete brings over my drink and asks, "What was that all about, with Leila and Mark?"

I raise my cup to him in a cheers motion before taking a sip. "That, my friend, was some much-needed closure."

He wraps his hand around the back of his neck, looking a little awkward. "Yeah, I always wondered what happened between them."

"Yeah, so does Leila."

"Do you think that, maybe... she might like me?" Pete asks, sweetly.

I nod and smile. "I do... but with you going away to uni –"

"Yeah, I know, worst timing in the world and all that!" he says, jokingly and I laugh a little.

"There's no harm in trying, right?" I say, and Pete smiles.

"So, what happened with Ben?"

I think for a moment, deciding against telling him the full story. "I told him he was missed."

Pete nods, placing a hand on my shoulder and squeezing it lightly. "Yeah, he is."

Leila and Mark head back in around five minutes later and I immediately grab her and pull her back outside to get the lowdown... and smoke again.

"Well? What happened?" I ask, placing the cigarette tip in my mouth and bringing the lighter to the end.

She exhales. "I asked him what happened, and he said that the relationship was moving too fast for him, and he got scared, basically."

"Really?!"

"I KNOW! He said he still likes me and wants to be with me, but with uni coming up, it just doesn't make sense, timing wise."

"Well then, fuck him. If that's how he feels, he's not the man for you." I say, giving her a hug.

"You know, when you went out with Mark, Pete asked me if you like him... I think he might have feelings for you." I say, lightly.

"But he's going to Bristol!" Leila replies hotly.

"I know... but if you're into him, there are ways to make these things work... if you wanted to. Don't be so quick to reject him." I say, and she nods.

As I'm finishing my cigarette, strong arms wrap around my shoulders, and I spin around in a panic to find Ben standing there.

"What the..." I say, so surprised by his presence.

"I changed my mind... can't miss Pete's send-off, can I?" he says, his deep voice making every hair on my body stand. He looks gorgeous in a simple black t-shirt, dark blue skinny jeans and boots. His hair is, as always, sitting messily to the left, and my heart is racing at the sight of him.