44

The next morning as I wait for the bus to uni, my head is pounding from mixing drinks. Feeling a little worse for wear, I reach out to Leila. I need all the carbs to soak up the alcohol.

Hey, you at uni today?

Nope, are you?

Yeah, but just the one class this morning – fancy meeting for lunch?

Yes! Let me know when you're heading back and we can meet at Mario's x

The girl has good taste. Mario's is a charming café that serves the best all day breakfast and the thought of it had my mouth salivating already. As I daydream of a full English, my phone starts to ring. It's Ben.

"Good morning!" he says uncharacteristically chirpy.

"Morning... you sound... happy, everything ok?" I ask, a little huskily.

"And you sound hungover... how are you feeling?"

"Like there's not enough Ibuprofen in the world to cure this headache, but otherwise good." He laughs.

"Did you have a good night?" he asks, and I can tell it's a leading question.

"I did..."

"What... er..."

"Nothing happened, Ben."

His relief is audible.

"Cool, cool, cool... oh, hey, I called Lizzi this morning, broke it off with her."

"Over the phone?!" I ask, surprised.

"Yeah... it was no big deal... we were clearly using each other. And I have no use for her anymore."

"Oh, you old romantic!" The bus arrives and I hop on, swiping my oyster card and selecting one of the few seats left.

"Hey, I can be romantic!"

"Can you?"

"No idea! But I could give it a go... for the right girl."

I giggle. "Prove it."

"Challenge accepted. Anyway, I just wanted to ring and say 'Hi' and to see if you and Leila were planning to go to Bristol this weekend?"

"Oh... I don't think so..."

"It's just that I spoke to Pete, and I think he might be missing Leila. It would be nice to get her there...?"

I knew he was lying but didn't want him to know that Pete and I had spoken.

"Isn't it a 'lad's weekend'? I think she'd much prefer to go next weekend when it's just the two of them."

"Boring! But fair enough. Would you mind if I called and text you over the weekend?"

A cheshire cat-sized grin spreads across my face. "Sure, I'd like that."

"Awesome. Well, have a good day."

"You too, bye."

I reach uni and head straight to buy a coffee the size of my head. As I stand in the queue, deciding between getting it hot or iced, an angry voice calls my name.

"Holly!"

I turn to see Lizzi, who's looking absolutely furious.

"Yeah?"

"What the fuck did you say to Ben?" Her body language is seriously feisty, and I instinctively stand a little taller.

"What are you talking about?" I reply, feigning innocence.