39

"Are we going to talk about the fact that I messaged you and you completely ignored me?" he says, leaning against the wall. I light up and shake my head.

"I was hoping to avoid it, honestly." I say, exhaling.

"OK..." he says, shifting awkwardly.

I groan. "... I've been seeing a guy on and off for about a year... it's complicated... and even though we weren't - aren't - together, I wasn't ready to move on. I'm still not, to be honest."

He nods his head. "Fair enough... I don't want to come between anything. But if you're ever in that place, feel free to message me."

"Ok... I will." I smile and take another pull on my cigarette.

"You're the only girl I've ever met that makes smoking look sexy." he admits, and I can't help but blush.

"Real smooth..." I say, and he laughs.

"Yeah, not my finest, but it's true!"

"Glad to hear that my shortened life expectancy gets you going!" I retort and immediately place my hand over my mouth in shock. Shaun just laughs louder.

"And she's funny! You're an all-rounder, girl."

I hear the doors swing open and look over Shaun's shoulder to see Ben. Our eyes meet at the same time and my heart flips as he takes in the scene before him. Noticing a shift in the atmosphere, Shaun turns around and Ben's eyes widen as he sees who I'm standing with. He looks more presentable tonight, with fresh clothes and a newly shaven face. But his eyes still look hollow, haunted and it saddens me.

"Holly? What in the actual fuck..." he says, sounding more confused than anything else.

"Sorry Shaun, can you give me two minutes?" I ask politely and he kindly nods and exits.

"Are you seriously here right now, with him?" He asks incredulously as the door closes. I have to remind myself of his fragile state to stop myself from getting riled up.

"No, I'm not. I'm here with Leila. I just happened to bump into him."

He scoffs. "Of course, you did... you're so innocent, aren't you? Entirely unaware of what you do to those around you."

His comment pisses me off, but instead of arguing, I simply step towards him. "How are you?" I ask, which takes him back.

"I'm fine..."

"Good. I've been trying to get in touch with you. I'm really sorry again for the freshers thing... I didn't go with Leila. And I swear, I wasn't trying to do anything to upset you. And I'm sorry if I did."

"Don't worry about it... it worked out well in the end anyways... I met Lizzi." He boasts, trying to annoy me.

Feigning ignorance, I ask "Lizzi?"

"Yeah, she's playing here tonight... we just, sort of, hit it off." He says, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. Up close, I can see his pupils are dilated.

"Aww, well that's nice." I lie, hating myself for the false niceties. Inside, I'm screaming.

"Yeah, I guess so..." he says, but his heart doesn't seem into it.

"I guess you can fall out of love as easily as you fall into it." I add and immediately curse myself for uttering the words.

"You can talk, with the fucking Hulk in there... really didn't peg you as that kind of girl." He spits out.

"What kind of girl?" I exclaim. I tried to rise above it, but he knows exactly how to annoy me.

"You know... big muscles, small brain..."