27

Approaching the car, the passenger window rolls down. As I lean in, he looks absolutely devastated and my heart sinks.

"Do you want to explain what you're doing here?" I say, feeling overwhelmed by alcohol and my sadness.

"Why are you walking back alone?" he retorts, and I shake my head.

"The cab dropped me off at the high street and I walked the rest of the way."

"You should've called me; I would've come to pick you up."

I scoff. "Yeah, that would've been a great idea."

"So, where did you go?" he asks, moving his messy curls out of his eyesight.

"Does it matter? Why are you here?" I say, shortly.

"You weren't answering me, so I –"

"That's because I've blocked you... again" I say, rooting in my bag for a cigarette. He throws his pack onto the passenger seat, and I take one, along with the lighter out the pack. He groans and gets out the car. I wobble a little on my heels and hold onto his car for support.

"You're wasted, Holly" he says, holding his arm out to help me.

"It was necessary, after you tried to ruin yet another night out." I say, shirking his touch and bringing the cigarette to my lips.

"I have a right to know where you were, when you're out with some guy!" he says in anger.

I take a deep hit of the smoke into my lungs and feel some relief. "You don't have any right! And he wasn't some guy – I've met him before!" I say, immediately regretting the words the moment they leave my mouth.

"Where?" he says, his mouth tight.

I don't answer.

"Where'd you meet him, Holly?"

Nothing.

"HOLLY! Fucking tell me!"

"The Railway Tavern, alright?!" I watch his eyes search for the memory, the familiarity clear in his expression, before the realisation hits him.

"The guy you gave your number to? ARE YOU FUCKING FOR REAL?!" he shouts.

"Shhh! You'll wake up the whole neighbourhood!" I say, scoldingly.

"Get in the car." he demands, walking back round to his door.

"No." I say, stepping back.

"Get in the car, Holly!" he says louder, getting into his seat.

"No – don't talk to me like that." I say, unwavering.

"GET IN THE FUCKING CAR!" he screams, repeatedly punching the dashboard in front of him.

His anger scares me, and irrepressible tears roll down my cheeks. Noticing my sadness, he changes approach.

"Holly, please... I just want a chance to talk to you."

I wipe the tears from my face and shake my head. "No Ben, not this time. You need help."

I turn and rush towards my house, desperate to get away from the boy I love so much. As I close the door, I hear him calling my name.