45

That night, fully recovered from my hangover, I take a shower and prep my stuff for uni in the morning. As I get myself ready for bed, my phone calls.

"Three times in one day? To what do I owe this pleasure, Mr Sutton?"

"Do I need a reason to call? I just wanted to hear your soothing tones before bed. You in uni tomorrow?"

"I am indeed... you?"

"Yes, mum... I'm going to class tomorrow."

"Good boy!"

Ben laughs. "Do you want a lift?"

"I'm completely in the opposite direction!"

"So? I'd happily drive out of my way, just to spend 20 minutes with you."

"Aww... then, how can I say no? What time are you heading to Bristol tomorrow?"

"After class, I'm taking James, so I'll pick him up and get on the road."

"Cool... I'm glad you're going."

"Me too. Right, as much as I hate to get off the phone, I better get ready for the morning."

"OK, thanks for calling."

"Sweet dreams tiger."

"Night."

"Holly?"

"Yeah?"

"Love you."

"I love you too, loser."

Ben laughs. "Night."

I lie back on my bed, our call giving me all the warm, fuzzy feelings. A few minutes later, I get a text.

Fuck, you make me so damn happy. Love you xx

***

The next morning, I wake up early, refreshed and excited to see Ben. I quickly get dressed and head into the kitchen to see mum.

"Morning love – you look happy this morning!" she says, giving me a quick kiss on my temple.

"Aren't I always happy?" I ask, heading straight to the coffee pot.

"Not recently, sweetheart. Glad to see you back to your old self."

"Thanks."

"Do you want me to make you some toast to take to the bus stop?"

"Actually, Ben's picking me up, so I can sit here for a bit to eat it."

"Oh... I see" she says, giving me a knowing smile and I roll my eyes.

"I like that one," she says, squeezing my arm.

"Only because he complimented your coffee!" I joke, putting some bread in the toaster.

"Not just that... he makes you happy. After you met him, you stopped complaining about moving back here." She smiles and walks out the kitchen, leaving me to my thoughts.

After finishing my coffee and toast, there's a knock on the door. I hear mum answer it.

"Ben! We've missed you round here!" she says, and I can't stop my eyes from rolling again.

"Thanks San, I've missed being here. Is she ready?"

"Yeah, she's in the kitchen."

"Is there any coffee in the pot?" He asks, and I can't help but laugh.

"Of course, love, help yourself. Hol will put a bit of toast on for you as well if ya like?"

"Oh, will I now?!" I reply loudly and hear them laugh.