7

What are you doing tomorrow night?

It was Ben – the first interaction we'd had since Sunday. I'm both thrilled and pissed off by the text. After spending the entire week at college trying to catch sight of him, he was nowhere to be seen. I'd actually bought cigarettes and spent every lunchtime at the smoking area in the hopes of seeing him, but no such luck. Now, with Friday night looming, I'm suddenly worth getting in touch with? I'm not sure whether to feel flattered or mildly insulted. I drop my phone back onto the armchair and continue to watch the four-part drama I'd committed to watching with mum and dad.

"Who was that, Hol?" My mum asked, ever the nosey parent.

"Just a mate - asking what my plans are tomorrow." I reply, keeping the "who" vague.

"Ooh, you should go out. Your dad and I are meeting a few of his friends from work for dinner - we can always collect you on the way home?" I smile. That's basically a thumbs up from Sandra to do whatever I want.

"Cool - I'll text them back after this."

She squeezes my leg, eyes glued to the television. I continue to watch but my heart is only half in it, my thoughts now filled with Ben.

My phone beeps again and I look to see Leila's name flash up.

Hey! One of Mark's friends, James, is having a gathering at his tomorrow night – you better be coming! x

I turn the phone over again but start to wonder if Ben is planning to invite me to the party. My mind continues to wander until the end credits roll.

"I'm gonna head upstairs." I say to mum and dad and take my leave.

Sitting down at my desk, I stop to think about my options; do I text back Leila first or Ben? I go with my heart first and message Ben.

No plans - why'd you ask?

I decide to put on some music while I wait. Seconds later the three dots appear, as he responds.

James is having a party if you wanna come?

I smile. So, he was inviting me to the party. I keep my response vague.

Maybe - will let you know

I decide against telling Leila about Ben, again.

Do I have a choice?! x

She immediately responds.

What's there to think about? Pete's going! x

I hadn't really thought about Pete since last Sunday. He'd text a couple of times and I'd been replying with the bare minimum to avoid giving him the wrong impression. Before I have the chance to respond again, Leila calls me.

"Hey mate, you alright? What's happening?" She asks.

"Nothing - I'm just not sure I'm up for the party." I lie, walking over to my bed.

"It's not a party, just a few of James' close friends... and us." She adds. "I thought you'd want to see Pete?"

"He's a nice guy, but I don't really see him as more than a friend if I'm honest."

She sighs. "That's a shame, I thought we could go on more double dates. You should still come to the party though."

"Ok... I'll think about it."

She groans. "You're a pain in the arse, you know that, right?! Let me know tomorrow."

Laying down on my bed, I think about Pete. He's so sweet and we really do get on well... but I can't stop thinking about Ben. The rude, obnoxious, and intimidating guy that has this overwhelming and exciting hold over me. I lay there pondering the two beautiful boys and before I know it, I'm fast asleep.