28

The next few months were a blur of college, studying, and nights out with the girls. Ben kept his distance, though there's been a few awkward moments where I've hidden – actually hidden – to avoid bumping into him. At first, staying away was difficult. So many nights spent lying in bed, questioning whether I was making the right choice.

I received unconditional acceptances to my two top choice universities, and my final exams came and went without too much stress. Finally free of college, I spent a few days agonising about which university to accept, and with the decision date looming, I decided to reach out to my new friend.

Hey, it's Holly. How are you?

A few seconds later my phone lights up

Hey! I'm good thanks, how are you? It's been a while - thought you'd forgotten about little old me :)

I smile.

Not a chance. I was thinking about taking another look around Brunel and was hoping you might know someone who could show me around?

Hmm... I reckon I could find someone tall, dark and handsome to show you the sights...?

I laugh.

Please give him my number! But if he's not available, maybe you could be my guide?

Lol! You're a killer. I'd love to show you about - when were you thinking?

I don't know - maybe this weekend?

Cool, let me know!

I place my phone down on my bedtime table and giggle. We've not seen each other since I visited Brunel two months prior, but we've texted occasionally.

That night, as I prepare myself for bed, I receive a text, from Shaun.

Hey! How are you doing? I haven't seen you around in a while, just thought I'd check in x

I debate whether to respond, before settling on no. It's been so long since we last saw each other. And after everything that happened with Ben as a result, I'm better steering clear right now.

"Sorry Shaun," I mutter under my breath, and close my phone.

***

When Friday rolls around, I send a message to let Keaton know I'm still coming.

Getting into West Drayton tomorrow morning at 10:30am - hope that works for you?

Oh yeah, of course! There's a 10:30 in the morning?! Jokes, sounds good. Will see you then.

After reading his message, I can't help but wonder if he'd forgotten I was coming to visit? I walk over to my wardrobe and pick out my outfit for the next day. I want something that's comfortable but cute, so choose an old, faded band t-shirt, my black skinny jeans and trusty converse. I also pull out a blazer in case it gets cold.

***

The next day, I wake up early for a shower and get myself ready. Feeling a mixture of excitement and nerves, I apply my make up; some winged liner, mascara and a little lip balm and choose to leave my hair down. I decide to take a hair band so I can pull it up if it gets too windy and take a casual stroll to the station.

The train journey is surprisingly quick and before I know it, it's 10:35 and I'm standing outside the station. I grab a coffee and wait patiently for Keaton to arrive.

A little over five minutes later, I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see him. His hair's longer, and he looks a little worse for wear, so I'm guessing he's recovering from a late night.