5

I lay in the darkness, heart racing, and try to collect my thoughts. Ben is texting me. How did he get my number? As if reading my mind, another message appears.

Took ur number as Mark was giving it to Pete

My stomach flips. He has essentially admitted to stealing my number, but I'm attracted to the cheekiness of it. Thinking of a witty reply, I settle on:

Who's this?

I silently giggle to myself. That should deflate his ego a little. I wait for his reply.

Ouch...

I raise a little fist in victory.

Just kidding. Night Ben

I reply, dropping the phone next to my pillow.

The next morning, I roll over and immediately check my phone, hopeful for another text, but nothing. Feeling a little discouraged, I drop my phone back down and quietly groan to myself.

When Leila wakes, we make our way downstairs and into the kitchen for a much-needed coffee and some food. Her older brother, Joe, is leaning into the fridge and, as he removes his head to say hello, I watch his eyes move from my face to my chest. I look down and notice my cleavage is heaving out of the vest that Leila lent me. He chokes a little and I sheepishly pull my vest up. Embarrassed, I make my way into the dining room.

Joe heads in seconds later, standing tall and trying to act cool. It's pretty comical what tits can do to a grown man. "Hey Holly, it's been a while... how you been?" I raise my eyebrow and open my mouth to respond just as Leila appears in the room.

"Bugger off ya perve!" she says, jokingly and I can't help but giggle. He skulks off, cheeks flushed, cursing her as he leaves.

Over our coffee and toast, I tell her about my message from Pete, but don't mention my too-brief text exchange with Ben.

"Aww, that's so sweet!" She gushes. "We should definitely see them again soon." I agree, but silently hope for the chance to see Ben.

In the bathroom, I take my time to wash my face and remove any final remnants of make-up from the night before. Replacing the too tight pjs for last night's outfit, I hear my phone beep. It's Pete.

Hey, what are you doing tomorrow? Fancy coming to the skate park?

It's a sweet invitation and I know I said I'd love to watch them in action, but I can't help but feel that seeing him twice in one weekend sends a signal that I'm not ready to give. Feeling conflicted, I decide to ignore the text. As I exit the bathroom, Leila practically leaps into my arms. "Mark's invited us to the skate park tomorrow! We have to go!"

In my desperate need to be the 'yes man', I agree and then text back Pete to let him know.

When I arrive home an hour later, I find my dad working in the front garden, removing the weeds from between the bedding plants. We briefly catch up on last night before I head into the kitchen to speak to mum. As usual, I find her perched on one of the stools at the island, reading her favourite celebrity gossip magazine.

"Hiya love, coffee's in the pot." She says in her thick Sheffield drawl, eyes still firmly fixed on the page. We're a family of avid coffee drinkers, so the coffee machine is forever keeping a pot warm. I nod and pour myself a cup before adding a spoonful of sugar and mixing it gently.

"Hey mum, I was hoping we could go shopping today - I really need new clothes." I say, taking a sip of the warm elixir. She looks up at me in shock. I hate shopping and detest getting new clothes. But it's time I branch out from the jeans and t-shirt comfort blanket I've become accustomed to.

"I'd love that!" She says excitedly.

"Cool - let me finish my coffee though!"

She grins and looks back down at her mag. I take a seat beside her and pull out my phone to check social media. As I scroll through Instagram, a text from Ben appears at the top of the screen.

You got plans tomorrow?

It's short, to the point and fills me with nervous anticipation. I decide to be direct.

Going to the skate park

For the rest of the day, I keep checking my phone, waiting for a reply that never comes.