37

"Hang on, you're doing what?" Leila says, rubbing her eyes. It's 8am and I've just woken her up after sitting up until 5am, trying to think of a way to help Ben. Three hours sleep is perfectly acceptable when you've got a plan in motion.

"I'm going to save Ben. Whatever it takes, I'm going to get him the help he needs and bring him back to me" I say resolutely, pacing back and forth.

"Right... maybe after a few hours of sleep first?" She replies sarcastically.

"I don't need sleep! I'm a woman on a mission!"

Leila rolls her eyes. "Ok, fine... what's your big plan?"

"First things first, we have to separate Ben from this harpy he's hanging out with. I'm going to try and find out more about her too - she's no good for him."

"Makes sense... then what?"

"We need Ben's mates to rally around him - maybe we can get Pete to invite him to Bristol for the weekend and stage some kind of intervention?"

"Yep... can foresee that going well. And if that doesn't work?"

"I'm going to kidnap him and take him away somewhere to detox."

"Holly, I love you, but you don't even drive! And there's no way you're going to kidnap that oaf!" Leila says, bringing too much sense to my half-baked plan.

I sigh. "Lei, I have to do something. He doesn't want this; he just doesn't know how to handle his emotions. I can help him. We, can help him - I just know it."

Leila sits contemplating for a few minutes before giving in. "Ok, fine. First things first, we need to fill in Pete about last night." I nod my head and as she grabs her phone, I sit down on the bed.

"Hey baby!" Pete coos through the speakerphone.

"Heyyy, I'm with Holly!" she replies, slightly embarrassed.

"Hi Pete" I add, as enthusiastically as I can muster in my sleep deprived state.

"What's wrong?" He asks, immediately sensing something is off.

Leila looks to me, and I shake my head. She raises her eyebrows at me and motions to the phone. I shake my head again and she kicks me. "Ow, fucking hell Leila!"

"Tell. Him."

"Fine! Ben's been MIA for the last week, ever since I told him I was going to Leila's fresher party instead of going to ours with him. I tried to apologise, but he never replied. Then, last night, after... you know, the girl on the phone stuff, we saw him in Barnet, hanging off of some bimbo. Pete... he was out of his mind. I'm not sure on what, but he looked bad. And he wasn't himself... I'm really worried."

Pete is silent.

"Are you there?" I ask, worried.

"Yeah... I'm here." He sighs. "That's a lot to take in... do you know the girl? Was it Becca?"

I shake my head. "No, not Becca... I'm going to try and do some digging on her. It wasn't just normal Ben high; he didn't really know where or what he was doing. It really scared me. He needs help."

"Holly wants to get him away from the girl, maybe up to Bristol so we can stage an intervention." Leila adds.

Pete scoffs. "I don't think that'll go down very well... Ben on self-destruct is dangerous."

"Has this happened before?" I ask, in a small voice.

"Yeah, a few years ago. Something was going on at home... not sure what, but he just spiralled."

I exhale deeply. "I love him, Pete. I'll do anything to get him well again... But I can't do it alone."

"And you don't have to Hols, we're all here for you. First things first, find out who the girl is. If he's using again, we need to find out what. Knowing Ben, it'll be anything he can get his hands on to numb the pain. And if she's supplying it, he will keep her close by... all the time. I'll keep trying to get in touch with him, and I'll reach out to James and Mark to get them on the case too. Let's see if I can convince him to come up for a "lad's weekend" in Bristol."

"Ok... and if it doesn't work, I will lock him away to get clean – even if I have to do it in my own room!"

Pete laughs lightly. "I bet you will. OK, talk soon."

"Bye." I pass the phone back to Leila and bring my knees to my chest.

"So, we're really doing this?" Leila asks.

"Yes, we're really doing this. Operation 'get Ben clean' is a-go."

"Yeah, we're really going to have to work on the name, but anything you need – just let me know."

Later that day, I look to social media to try and help me figure out who this girl is. After searching through every #freshersweek post associated with my university. Hours into scrolling, I'm about to give up, when I hit the jackpot. 'Lizziizz_' is tagged in a video from the freshers party I was meant to attend with Ben. Clicking on the profile, I'm immediately aware that it's her. Lizzi, as she's known to her "friends" is 19, in an all-girl emo band called 'SkinnyLizz' and studying Illustration. In every single one of her pictures, she's off her face, being chaotic and just generally a bit of a mess. She's very striking, with long messy blonde hair, heavy eye make-up, classic red lip and full sleeve tattoos on both arms. She definitely looks the part as the lead singer of a band.

Without thought, I forward her account onto Leila.

Found the bitch x

Within minutes she replies.

So that's her? I can't believe you found her - grade A social stalking my friend x

It looks like her band is playing at the Butchers in High Barnet tomorrow – you up for a night out? x

Fuck yes! See you then x

Smiling, I drop my phone onto the bed. As long as we stay out of sight, we'll be just fine.