Ch:1( A dangerous decision)

Heaven, the realm ruled by the prosperous and righteous Emperor Jun Wu, is a place of extreme beauty where gods ruled, protecting it from Hell and its ghosts. The golden robed youthful man with immense magnificence and a powerful aura sat perched on his equally powerful golden throne, the Martial Hall of Emperor Jun Wu bustled with heavenly officials who talked to each other in whispers about the sudden summoning of the Heavenly Court of Emperor Jun Wu.

Jun Wu scanned the crowd of officials his sharp and deep obsidian eyes looking for their prey. The Crown Prince hadn't arrived yet he sighed motioning for Ling Wen to start the meeting. She announced for everyone to greet the Emperor, the crowd of heavenly officials quickly bowed their heads down and spoke, "We wish His Majesty a healthy and peaceful life."

"At Ease," Jun Wu said, still waiting for the Crown Prince. Some of the senior officials gave each other knowing looks as the Emperor's gaze lingered over the entrance of the grand Martial Hall with towering columns supporting its structure carved with intricate designs and sheer white curtains wrapped around the large open windows, the Emperor sighed as it seemed the Crown Prince wasn't going to show up.

"Officials, I summoned you today to inform you all of an essential message." Jun Wu began trying to pass some time. All the officials earnestly stared at the ground concentrating on each word that left the Emperor's mouth,

"As all of you are aware the ghost festival is approaching which means the ghosts from Hell will try their best to harm our people, this year however it is going to be different," Jun Wu's deep voice took to a slightly higher tone, "The Crown Prince is going to be officially announced and crowned the king so there needs to be the utmost care and attention to be put forth for the people, hence I believe you will all work hard to protect the Heavens from Hell and its evil ghosts."

As the Emperor's voice faded the only sound in the Martial hall was from the rustling of the trees outside and the occasional jingle of jewellery, there was a silence, a deathly silence in the crowd of the officials, they gave each other looks which screamed Is the Heavenly Emperor out of his mind? To keep the crowning of the Crown Prince on the day of the ghost festival, isn't this already asking for too much trouble?

"We shall do our best to protect the Heavens." spoke Ling Wen, followed by the crowd. No one dared to even fathom the thought of questioning the Emperor's decision. They bowed their heads down once again before leaving the Martial Hall in an orderly manner.

"The Emperor's gone mad! I am telling you, YueYue, his old age has seeped through his brain " whispered an official anxiously to her companion, white robes swaying with the wind.

"Shhh, are you mental? If someone hears us, we are dead!" the said companion panic shouted at the whispering official while frantically looking around, praying to Jun Wu that hopefully no one heard them.

"No one will hear us besides it's far too noisy for that." The official sassed arms crossed against her bosom.

"Still better safe than sorry." Her companion warned, dark brown eyes searching for any possible eavesdroppers.

"Anyways I think this year either the crowning will go to Hell or the Hell will come to the crowning ceremony." stated the white-clad official as they were in a completely quiet corridor safe from prying ears,

"Well, something bad is bound to happen. It always does on the ghost festival day, so what's the exception this time?" asked the dark blue robbed official in an unbothered tone.

"The crowning will also be done, so maybe the ghosts will think not to bother us and celebrate their festival in peace and let us enjoy the crowning ceremony in peace?" suggested the lady owning a white fan which she waved in the dark blue-clad official's face who scowled at her best friend.

"Or they might like the idea of completely sabotaging the ceremony. Either way, we are not going to have any peace. That's something I am sure of." the blue-clad official stated with certainty as a gentle breeze swayed their robes.

"Don't be so negative, YueYue, I am sure things will go smoothly. The Emperor decided on it, so he must have thought of it thoroughly, right?" the white-clad official questioned, nudging her best friend playfully

"Or he has some sick idea up his sleeve which involves us being in trouble while he sits on his throne bossing everyone around," the blue-clad official answered, rolling her eyes,

"Good morning, elemental masters, His Majesty asked you to appear in the side hall right now," Ling Wen informed politely, She disappeared as soon as she appeared.

"You think she heard it?" the dark blue-clad official asked as a panicked look crossed her eyes.

"Don't know, let's go," shrugged the white-clad officials, grabbing their companion's hand and leading them forwards.

"Oh goodness! what if she heard it? we are screwed Yìfēi, Let's run away before we get killed!" the dark blue-clad official suggested as she tried to pry her hand from her best friend's stronghold.

"Shut up, no one's gonna kill us." Yìfēi assured while she dragged Yue Yue to the side hall.

"Hopefully," YueYue mumbled while being dragged to her possible death.

Side hall of Emperor Jun Wu

The two best friends quickly ran inside joining their fellow elementals in a line in front of the Heavenly Emperor, YueYue and Yìfēi kept elbowing each other trying to make the other one apologise for being late, Yìfēi nudged YueYue a little too hard which caused her feet to move forward in a jerk stumbling, the two other elementals present there gave each other looks which screamed are these two idiots? Taking the situation in hand, YueYue bowed her head down, "I sincerely apologise for keeping His Majesty waiting."

Jun Wu shook his head, "It's alright, Now that all four of you are present here, I will explain, The Crown Prince is to be crowned on the day of the ghost festival and I need all four of you to tighten up the security, each of you will guard the central palace against the four directions, Xiàn Fèng West, Yú Yìfēi East, Shù Zìrán South and Bài ShuîYuê North is that clear?"

The four elementals bowed their heads, "We shall follow His Majesty's order." they said in unison. They were allowed to leave the side hall half an hour later with maps of the Central Palace gates,

"Why do you think His Majesty changed our positions?" asked a confused Yú Yìfēi as she stared at the map of the East gate in her fingers.

"We each guard our given directions and each year the ghosts from hell attack in a particular manner, this year I believe His Majesty wants to change things so that they get caught up in surprise." explained Shù Zìrán the intelligent Earth Master of North territory

"But then we would face unknown calamities. Isn't that worse than actually knowing what we are up against?" questioned Xiàn Fèng the flamboyant
Fire Master of East territory, his cheery voice laced with doubt.

"That's what I am thinking Fèng!" exclaimed Yú Yìfēi as she jokingly punched his shoulder, "What do you think? YueYue?" she inquired, turning to the Water Master who seemed lost in thought but tensed up seeing all of them stare at her. She awkwardly looked here and there for a moment, trying to gather her thoughts.

Walking past Shù Zìrán, she muttered, "Don't try to understand what His Majesty thinks. We can only follow the orders."

"She still won't open up to us." Xiàn Fèng sighed as he pointed towards himself and Shù Zìrán. Yú Yìfēi gave them a close-eyed smile while walking towards her best friend, who was nowhere in sight.

_______________________________
Heaven and Hell lie in the same plane, but they are divided into two separate parts, crossing the border between them without a permit is an offensive crime, the rulers may punish the guilty as they please, usually people from Heaven do not cross the border unless they are into the shady business, However in Hell, anyone is allowed to enter as long as it's reported to the junior General of the Ghost army, Emperor Jun Wu strictly condemns any relationship between the two regions, some of the officials do unofficial business in Hell without the knowledge of The Emperor, but once they are caught, the punishment is either death or sent to Hell for suffering the rest of their lives, Hell holds ferocious ghosts of those who have died mercilessly.

From the Royal Library of Central Palace

Word count: 1500