Vol 11/Ch 105 - A Prodigy vs a Genius II

As Allen's magical release ability dissipated, dealing no damage to Stephen whatsoever, Allen asked the burning question.

"Wait, you can use mana?"

"Bingo," Stephen grinned, as he pointed a finger at him. "Now, just how much can I use? Considering my mana pool is arguably higher than yours, who do you think can sustain this duel the longest?"

Allen should have been growing in worry, but instead he was feeling something else entirely. He was feeling proud of Stephen, with how far he's come in so little time. As far as Allen was aware, the only people who could directly use their mana without casting it into physical magic was himself, William, and possibly Thomas due to his arm strengthening ability. But suddenly Stephen could use it now too?

"I haven't been doing nothing all this time," Stephen added. "For months, ever since the training camp, I've been slowly working at it. How I could directly use my mana"

So, this entire time, Allen thought, as he stared down the confident Stephen. Should've known. We've all been working hard to get as strong as we could, for the tournament.

"But now, I think I've figured out the basics," Stephen continued to explain. "And now you're out of your magical release ability"

He's right, Allen thought, as the fatigue started to catch up to him. I've used my trump card. Now all Stephen has to do to win is wear me out further or push me into a corner and it's over for me.

"Wow, would you look at that!," Misa yelled, finally adding in commentary. "Stephen managed to dodge Allen's attack? Just how did he manage that?"

"And just what could they be talking about?," Lisa added. "What could they be up to now?"

That's right, Allen remembered. No one really knows how to directly use their mana, and only knows how to cast it into magic. To them, we must be talking nonsense.

Everyone in the crowd was focused on Allen's magical release spell to really think about how Stephen dodged it. Regardless, the duel will continue, which everyone was waiting for.

"With your ability gone, and becoming worn out, it almost seems as though I am pushing you into a corner," Stephen said out loud, throwing his arms up to exaggerate. "I'm getting closer to finally beating you, and to ensure my fair but inevitable victory, it's time to ramp things up!"

Wait, Allen thought as he recalled his first major duel against Stephen. Is he finally going to use-

"Get ready Allen, because I am going to beat you here!," Stephen shouted, as he began to prepare his magic once again.

"And the duel continues!," Misa yelled, as Stephen prepared his next spell. "Allen and Stephen are ready to begin what seems like round two of their duel!"

Allen prepared himself for what would follow. He'll attempt to cut through Stephen's next set of spells, however he knew it would be difficult. He was already fatigued from his magical release attack that failed, which left his body feeling heavier than normal.

"Take this!," Stephen yelled, casting his magic.

As Allen predicted, Stephen changed the way he was casting his air magic. It was now in the form of air slashes, which meant they would be much more precise, and do more damage if they managed to hit Allen. A skill that he no doubt copied from his father, William Windblade.

"All mages have the ability to change how they cast their magic," William's words from the past echoed in Allen's head. "How they form and shape their magic upon casting it is up to them and their imaginations"