Vol 3/Ch 26 - The Director's Son

Took away his father? What does he mean by that?, Allen thought.

Allen was confused about what was making Stephen so furious. Back when he first had a conversation with him, Stephen seemed like he had no issues with him. However, now out of nowhere, he was furious with him?

It must've had to do with William in some way, but what was it exactly? What did Allen do to "take away" Stephen's father?

"Stephen, what do you mean?," Allen asked, trying to figure out what's going on.

"I can't believe this," he angrily said, both disappointment and fury in his eyes. "It just had to be you!"

"What's going on?," Thomas asked, looking around the room for an answer.

"Stephen," Rose began to say, standing up out of her chair. "You don't need to-"

"Shut up!," he pointed at her. "I don't wanna hear anything from you!"

"I-," she tried to speak again, but decided to sit back into her chair and quiet down. She knew she wasn't going to be able to get through to him.

"There's not much we can do now," William mumbled, loud enough for Martha, Rose, Thomas and Cecily to hear.

"There has to be something, William. He's your son, isn't he?," Martha whispered.

William didn't respond. He just looked down at his desk for a moment, thinking.

"Stephen, can't we talk this out? I don't know what I did," Allen exclaimed, trying to get an answer out of him.

"You know my father, don't you?," Stephen asked.

Allen turned back to the rest of them for a moment. William was still looking down, Martha looked like she was thinking about something, and Thomas and Cecily looked like they weren't sure what to do. Only Rose acknowledged him, shaking her head back and forth. She was most likely trying to tell him not to answer, but Allen decided in that moment he would be truthful to his word to Stephen, no matter how mad Stephen got.

"Yes, I know William," Allen responded, looking back at him.

"Only few would call my father by name," Stephen explained, but still had his furious tone. "So, you must be the mage he trained, aren't you?"

"Correct, he trained me for five years. From when I was eight years old to the age of thirteen, he trained me almost everyday," Allen explained, trying to keep a calm tone.

"I knew it!," Stephen yelled. "You've been here all this time, right under my nose!"

All the rest of them in the room could only watch the scene unfolding, not much room to intervene. Despite being Stephen's father, William made no indication to try to speak up. Allen wasn't entirely sure why that might be, however he wouldn't without a good reason.

"For five years, he helped me to become a better mage, training me despite having very little mana within me," Allen explained. "Without him, I wouldn't be the mage I was today"

"But why did it have to be you, of all people?," Stephen asked. Despite him still being furious, he seemed to look a little sad, as if he had wished it was someone else.

"I still don't understand Stephen," Allen started to say, trying to reason with him. "Why are you so aggravated over the fact I was trained with William?"

"Because you- you-," Stephen started to say while pointing at Allen, but didn't finish his sentence. He started to look more sad than furious at this point.

The rest of them in the room still had yet to say anything, which left Allen to be the only one to try to reason with him. He kept trying to think why William wouldn't intervene, but couldn't come up with anything.