Vol 10/Ch 94 - A New Predicament

With the duel between Cecily Rivertide and Rose Marion resulting in Cecily's defeat, those of the small resistance members who remain participating in the tournament begin to grow with worry - just what is in store for them for the rest of the tournament? And does getting Rose back to their side remain a possibility?

With Rose's changes in behavior from an almost timid, lifeless puppet turning towards an arrogant and determined follower, there's no doubt in anyone's mind that Ellen Marion has been influencing Rose as much as possible. Will they still be able to return Rose back to the confident yet kind Student Council President they once respected and cared for so much?

However, with Cecily Rivertide in the infirmary, and Allen Fleming's fourth duel around the corner, the small resistance members had much more important matters to attend to than to focus their efforts on Rose Marion.

Most of the small resistance members had checked up on Cecily at one point or another, to make sure she was alright, with Thomas spending the most time with her to ensure her safety and security. But according to the academy's nurses, she would be out in no time, which brought relief to all of them.

But what surprised Allen the most during his check up on Cecily, was the fact he happened to get there when Mr. Garet was also there. Did he truly care about his students, or was he there to merely discuss business with Cecily? Or perhaps a bit of both?

"Perfect timing, Fleming," Mr. Garet acknowledged him with a nod. "Come in, we have matters to discuss"

He says that like this is his office, Allen thought, as he shook his head.

Allen has come to respect Walter Garet, their current only Vice Director, due to his intelligence and similar views. However, he has also found Mr. Garet to be a rather indifferent individual, focusing on logic and reason over emotion and sentiment. He cares more about a person's value over their feelings.

"Thanks for visiting me, Al," Cecily greeted him with a warm smile, as she lay resting in her infirmary bed.

"Of course, and I'm sure everyone else has checked up on you?," Allen asked her, completely ignoring Mr. Garet on his way in.

"Yes, and they were all very considerate," Cecily nodded. "I'm sure the rest I haven't seen will show up at one point or another"

"That's good to hear," Allen responded, as he took a seat next to her bed and Mr. Garet, who still remained standing and growing impatient with Allen treating his existence with no importance. "I hope you are resting well"

"Indeed, although it does get boring at times," Cecily admitted. "But I can't complain too much. I've had extra time to study my books"

Cecily pointed to the stack of books lying resting on a table on the opposite side of Allen's chair.

Allen sighed. "You and your books"

As Cecily and Allen let out a small chuckle, Mr. Garet cleared his throat, almost to grab their attention.

"Enough of pleasantries. While the duel had an outcome I was more or less expecting, we need to plan for what may come later, Fleming," Mr. Garet turned to look at Allen, who furrowed his brow in response.

"More or less expected?," Allen asked. "You mean to say you didn't think Cecily had a chance?"

"Look me in the eye and tell me you were thoroughly convinced that Cecily would win against Rose, with the clear gap in skills," Mr. Garet responded, his expression unwavering.

After a moment of Allen glaring at Mr. Garet and the silence that followed, Allen finally spoke.

"Yes, I get what you are saying. But there are nicer ways to put things," Allen pointed out.