Vol 1/Ch 2 - The Academy Entrance Exam

"Alright, let's begin with the first exam," their examiner spoke. "For this one, just simply strike the target over there with your magic"

The examiner pointed over to a singular, fairly large target several meters away.

"This will help us assess your overall, basic magic skills. The following exams after will be more oriented towards your type of element, which in this case is air"

"Now, who wishes to go first?," the examiner finally asked, looking at each of them, his clipboard in hand.

"I'll go first," one of the examinees spoke up. Allen noticed it was the first guy who didn't believe Allen belonged in their group.

He walked over towards the location the examiner wanted them to cast their magic from. Allen, alongside the examiner and the other air examinees waited to see his results.

"Watch closely, peasant! This, is the true power behind us distinguished mages!," he shouted, looking at Allen before preparing to cast his spell.

He lifted his right hand and extended it outwards, summoning his elemental magic circle from his hand. From there, the air magic smoothly flowed out of his circle, creating a strong gust of air magic. It soared towards the target, very quickly. Once it hit the target, the magic hit it really hard, making the target soar off a few meters away.
All of the other air examinees looked at him pleasantly, even congratulating him. The examiner looked at him in surprise for a moment, before remembering to finally write down his score.

"Now, let's see how you do, peasant!," he mocked him as he walked past him, an unfriendly smirk on his face.

"Examinee Allen, will you be going next then?," the examiner asked, completely ignoring the air mage's insults at Allen.

Well, it was either now or later anyways, Allen thought as he sighed.

"Very well, I will go next," Allen nodded. The examiner didn't say anything in response, and instead waited for Allen to take his turn.

Allen looked around at all of the other examinees, all of them waiting for him to fail. And the thing was, they were about right. Allen knew exactly how this was going to go.

In addition, they probably didn't care that they didn't go next, since this exam was going to be easy for them anyways. Watching someone else fail was probably more interesting for them than this whole exam.

Well, whatever, Allen thought. It doesn't matter what they think. What really matters is getting past this exam, and trying my best.

He stepped up on the line, after waiting for it to be set up again after the previous guy had made it fly away. Allen took a few deep breaths, knowing what was going to happen. The examiner watched him closely, ready to grade his performance.

He took another deep breath, raising his left hand. Extending out his hand, he began to concentrate with all of his might.

C'mon, I can do this, he tried to reassure himself, while tugging at his mana flowing through his arm.

Just then, a small gust of wind came out of his hand, without an elemental circle. It could barely be seen, as it headed towards its target. Once it touched its target, it just simply dispersed, barely leaving any evidence it was even there.

For just a moment, the examiner and the other examinees just stood in silence, absolutely stunned. Then without warning, most of the examinees began to break out in laughter.

"You're kidding? That's all you've got?"

"Are you sure you're even an air mage?"

"This is what you get for being a peasant, don't even act like you're on our level!"