89

"Hey! That's not the way it should be

"Hey! That's not the way it should be." Thea shouted to Samuel, our store manager who was wrapping up the gifts for the special opening. 

"Here. It should be here and then like this." She demonstrated on the gift box while Samuel attentively hear and look at her actions.

"Got it?!" I heard her ask in her usual tone while I looked around the decorations and the placements of the clothes.

Thea and I had opened our first boutique "T & Z" a week ago which did quite well and we had decided to do a week long special offer to promote our products. Thea had taken care of most part of the opening while I was busying designing the clothes and pairing them to display for the advertisement. 

"All done." Thea's voice came from behind and I nodded my head roaming my eyes around the store.

"We will soon have lots of money." She said sounding excited and placed her hand on my shoulder while leaning her body towards me. 

I laughed with a shake of my head listening to her enthusiasm and she sighed as if already imagining us counting the zeros on our bank account. To say I was not excited was an understatement but I was stupefied with the way our clothes were high on sales and the order for the exclusive design clothes were far exceeds the expectation of the first time opening of the store. 

"Zeta! We did it." Thea turned me towards her sounding immensely happy and we hugged each other feeling emotional. 

"You will be a great designer Ms. Zeta." Thea said with a smirk after pulling away making my smile to widen.

"It's Mrs. not Miss." I corrected her with you-better-remember look and she snorted with a roll of her eyes.

"Okay, okay Mrs. Dominique." She huffed in annoyance and we laughed out loud.

"Mam, everything is ready. Do you recommend any changes?" Samuel's voice came from the side and we turned towards him. 

"No changes. You got to do the hard work." Thea said with you-know-look.

"I will assure that everything will go fine." Samuel said in his confident voice and we had selected him out of 10 candidates who had apply for the interview. 

"You should. Then we will leave." Thea grabbed my hand and walked to the door after once over of the overall store. 

Along with Samuel we have hired four other staffs and we did not have to handle everything by ourselves. We headed towards the parking lot and hopped inside Thea's car. 

"You ready to smash the opponent." Thea shouted looking overly energetic and drove away to the Lilian plaza where the final competition for the university project was being held.

After three rounds, Thea's and mine team made it to the final, although Eric was an asshole, he had good hands for designing clothes and his so called scandal did expel him from the university but somehow, he got permission to partake on the competition and how he got the chance was still a mystery.

"Yes. But you forget that you are one of them." I said in a duh tone and laughed out loud.

"You got the point girl." She too laughed it off and after a 30 minutes drive we reached the venue. 

Due to our special situation, we had already given heads up to our professor so we just got some weird glances or eye roll from our opponent as we entered the backstage. For this project, we had to find five female classmates from theatre major to be our model and walked the runway while wearing the clothes we had design.

As this was the team project, the fashion majors were graded on the design of the clothes they have made while business majors had to manage everything from finance to the overall rating of the clothes along with the advertisement.

"Zeta." Owen called as soon as I reached the doorstep of the dressing room assigned to us.

"Best of luck. See ya soon." I waved towards Thea whose room was just beside us.

"Same too you. Let's compete." She said with a raised fist and with a shake of my head I entered the room.

Our models had already worn the dresses allocated to them and were doing their makeup. Everything seemed perfect and Owen gave me an assuring look.

After 30 minutes or so, the competition started and we chereed our model to give their best.

"Let's smash it." We all yelled together and they walked in the runway while Owen and I stood at the back stage.

Three teams had already presented their works and we were the last team. Inhaling deep breath with the clenched fist, we waited for the models to come back and we walked together at the end.

Loud applause sounded from the audition
side and for a second I felt like I was a real designer and felt motivated to chase my dream. Fifteen minutes later, the result was announced and with the love of god, we won.

A huge smiled grace my lips as we were presented with an award and Owen clasped my hand raising it upward with a victorious smile plastered on his face. My eyes traveled to the audition side where mom, dad and Vincenzo were looking at us with my husband looking jealous.

Then we went backstage to talked with our model and thanks them for their great performance, without them we wouldn't have win the competition. After exchanging the words of thanks and appreciations, I had a sudden urge to use washroom so I walked towards it.

After coming out of the washroom which was at the least crowded area, I got a glimpse of the side face of dad who was walking ahead.

I was about to call him when I saw a woman come from the opposite side and stopped in front of him. Then he held her hand and bend down crashing his lips on her. They were so into each other that they couldn't feel my presence and it didn't look like they were new to this.

What the fudge?

I freeze on the stop feeling like a cold water was pour on my body and my fragile self couldn't believe the scene that was unfolding in front of me.

Different emotions surge inside me; anger, hurt, disappointment, betrayal, mostly a sharp pain pierce my heart and I felt vulnerable.

And the woman was none other than Ms. Monique, the esteemed judge of today's completion.