"Christine. I hope to see you again soon."

"Yes, absolutely - any friend of Keaton's is a friend of ours," she shares sweetly.

"Right mum, I'm off!" Keaton announces, pulling her in for a hug.

"Thanks for coming to see us love - you drive safely."

"Will do."

"Bye Holly, it was nice to meet you."

"You too, thank you again. Take care." I say, picking my bag up from the floor and walking out the door.

As we're loading the bags into the boot, a cab appears behind Keaton's car and Ben peels himself out. He's looking more than a little worse for wear and when he notices us, his eyes flame with anger.

"HOLLY!" he shouts, walking over to the car.

"What?" I say, trying to keep my tone level but failing miserably.

"What the fuck? What are you doing?" He shouts angrily.

"Keaton is driving me home. I'd ask where you stayed last night, but I have a pretty good idea. Now if you don't mind, we're –"

"Wait, we need to talk! You can't just –"

"No, we don't. I asked you to come back last night to talk, but you didn't. You didn't even give me the chance to explain, not that I should have to. This was a huge mistake." I slam the boot and make my way round to the passenger seat.

"Shit! Holly, please... just come with me. I'll drive you home and we can talk all this through."

"Where were you last night, Ben? What did you get up to?"

His face looks sheepish, and he doesn't respond.

"Just as I thought. I have NOTHING else to say to you."

I climb into the passenger side and close the door. "Can we please leave Keaton? I'm done here."

"Of course," he says, putting the key in the ignition. The car roars into life and Ben starts banging on the passenger window. "Holly! Just get out the fucking car, we can figure this all out. Don't leave me - I need you!"

As Keaton pulls away, I can hear Ben calling my name in desperation.

"Sorry about that." I say, searching for my now vibrating phone in my bag.

"You have nothing to be sorry for."

I smile at him as I grasp my fingers on the phone. I switch it off and then turn to look out the window.

"So, what are we listening to?" Keaton asks, kindly changing the subject and turning on the radio.

"You can tell a lot about a person from the music they listen to... What do you have in the CD player?" I ask.

"I'm embarrassed to say that I've got a mix of cheesy emo shit."

"Does it have Taking Back Sunday or The Used on it?"

"Yep!"

"Amazing - let's do it!"

***

The journey flies by as we're singing along to all the best/cheesiest emo songs of the 2000s. By the time we reach the M25, we've finished the mix tape and we've hooked up Keaton's phone to run through his Spotify playlists.

When Fall out Boy finishes, Keaton says "Look, I know you didn't want me to drop you, but I couldn't live with myself if I left you to make your way home. So, I'm taking you - no arguments!" I grin, silently grateful that I don't have to navigate public transport with my heavy luggage.

"Thank you, that's so kind of you. As thanks, what can I put on the playlist for you next?"

"Let's go with The Get Up Kids "I'll catch you" - the height of cheese."

"Oh man, I love that song. It gives me all the feels."

I select the track and we sit in silence listening to the lyrics. And after the last 24 hours, the lyrics feel so close to my own problems. Ben has once again pulled the wool over my eyes, sucked me in and spit me out. I'm so angry at myself for being so naive AGAIN. The saddest part is that the pain has become a familiar friend.

"Are you alright?" Keaton asks as the song ends. "Yeah, I'm fine... those lyrics are a little raw." I admit.

"Oh shit... I didn't think..."

"No, don't... I love that song... it just hit a little harder today."

He clears his throat for a second and says, "your choice - what are you going for?"

"Story of the Year "And the hero will drown" - do you know it?"

"Nope - let's hear it!"

I select the song and the car fills with angst and powerful lyrics.

"This song is so fucking good!" Keaton says as it ends.

I smile and nod "I know, right? Super underrated."

The entire journey takes around 2 hours, and we rock up to my home around 11am. Keaton turns off the ignition and I undo my seatbelt and turn to face him.

"Thank you so much. Not just for driving me home, but for inviting me out, listening to me and just being so lovely. I'm so glad I met you."

He smiles and taps his fingers on the steering wheel awkwardly. "Holly, it's no problem - it's what any normal person would do."

"You'd be surprised!" I quip.

He sighs. "I am so glad to have met you too. Just when I was feeling down, you walked in and livened up my weekend. Listen, take my number. if you ever want to talk; about Ben, shitty music or anything at all, just give me a call or text."

"You don't want to hear from miserable old me."

"You'd be surprised!" He quips back.

I pull my phone out and notice several calls and texts. I clear my notifications and open the phone to allow him to input his number.

"Thanks!" I say, as he hands the phone back. I call his phone, so he has my number, and he saves it into his phone.

"Please call me when you get to uni, so I know you got there safely." I say, as I open the door.

"Ha ha - sure thing mum!" He jokes.

Keaton walks round to the boot and removes my bags from the car. He hands it across and then swoops me in for a goodbye hug.

"Well... goodbye then." I say after we embrace.

"Goodbye, Holly."

I watch Keaton drive away and as I enter the house and close the door; I see a glimpse of a familiar car cresting the road.