Chapter 41 "Outside it starts to pour"

~Ethan~

4/11/21

The sky was gray, it was dark yet I could tell beyond the darkness there were gray clouds filled with rain covering the sky. It was a night without stars, a cold night in the rooftop of the Empire Stage Building.

I loved that skyscraper, even if it stopped being the tallest building in the world in 1971.

When I talk about rooftop I don't mean the restaurant, I mean one of the highest spots, closed to the public, always closed to the public. Iria and I always ended in a high building at some point. I admit I had an obsession with heights.

Iria walked through the place looking amazed at the view, I had been here many times before so I looked at her. It had been a month since that video came out, I had already taken care of it however I still hadn't gotten used to this new version of Iria.

She had a voice now and I liked it, I loved that her mother was wrong.

Iria changed, she wasn't the innocent girl who stayed all day playing chess anymore, now she stood up for herself and I continued to love her as my best friend, she hadn't changed in the important, she still had the exact same soul that fit together with mine so perfectly.

She's my soulmate after all.

I felt a tickle in my arm followed by Iria's caress, she walked behind me, resting both her hands on my shoulders when she leaned and spoke close to my ear.

"Would you die for me?"

I didn't understand the hidden meaning of her words, I didn't figure out the reference to that one Harley Quinn move until I stopped feeling her breath on my neck. I hadn't forgotten about the lack of rails in the place, I never lost of sight my proximity to the edge, to the void, that's why I turned around.

Iria jumped after holding my gaze for barely five seconds.

Would you die for me?

Too easy.

Would you live for me?

I didn't hesitate more, I have known the answer to those questions since the first time I grabbed her hand and took her to a high building, promising her that I would jump right after her if she fell.

But she didn't fell, Iria jumped. There was a bit of madness in this girl who no longer walked or dressed like the one that one day I promised I wouldn't let hit the ground. Maybe I needed a bit of that madness too. I mean, I enjoyed every second of the fall, I enjoyed the wind hitting my face, the adrenaline and the vertigo in the pit of my stomach.

Maybe there was madness in me too, maybe that was the reason why we were soulmates, the reason why I caught her halfway through the fall and teleported us both to her bed, we hit it between laughs, still with the thrilling effect of the adrenaline running through our veins.

"Dammit, that was a madness!" She screamed with traces of laugh in her voice.

Dammit, I enjoyed that madness more than I should.

Dammit, my favorite part was thinking I could crash against the ground.

༄ ❅ ༄

23/4/24

"Do you have somewhere else to be, huh?" Evelyn teased squatted in front of the big metal blind.