Chapter 22 "The shade"

~Ethan~

26/5/23

It took me hours to get Iria to fall asleep, she's been crying since this morning and she didn't stop until she finally closed her eyes. I knew the reason why she cried for that long, she didn't want to stop feeling miserable just like she didn't want me to comfort her. She wanted to cry, she wanted to feel the pain convincing herself that it was good.

Perhaps even convincing herself that she deserved the pain.

I disagreed, she didn't deserve the pain but I... I walked as a drug addicted early in the morning. Unlike Iria I couldn't sleep, I actually sneaked out of the apartment when I made sure she wouldn't stop me.

The pain consumed me, it burned and gave me headache as I tried to use all the strength I had left to look up those fucking stairs. I knew what would happen, that pain was too familiar except this time it wasn't physical but emotional, still it hurt to the point of clouding everything...

I wanted to use my power, reaching the rooftop began to become an impossible mission as everything seemed to have lost its meaning in my head. I knew it wasn't about the pain of losing the love of my life when a deadly headache took over me. I fell on my knees, my hands on my head as all those times when I was a kid trying to figure out why all those countries showed up in my mind.

I always hated drama, I avoided conflicts that could led to the rise of such strong emotions at all cost. Every superhuman could relate strong emotions got the worst out of their powers; Iria used her emotions in order to control her deadly power, Tristan provoked a Tsunami for love and once again nobody ever wondered how could my strong emotions affect my power.

This was how they did it.

It was an endless fight the one of my mind vs my body. My mind wanted to leave, fuck I wanted too but my body... my power couldn't just follow the commands. I was in an intermediate space between somewhere else and where I stood, it had happened to me in the past, when everything started I would shrug in some corner and wish for the world to stop moving.

I wasn't nine anymore and the strong emotions weren't provoked by my lack of experience with my power. I was seventeen and Chrystal's death provoked those emotions.

This time the known feeling of having your soul taken out of your body had another explanation, the pain of knowing the best I ever had ended.

I writhed in pain for my princess... She put too much love inside of me and it wasn't fair of her to take it out so abruptly.

༄ ❅ ༄

22/3/24

We arrived to the apartment around midnight, it wasn't too late but after Iria dropped the bomb about her plans for prom we didn't stay much longer in J.D's house. Iria went straight to her room when we arrived at our place, she had mentioned she was tired and wanted to sleep so I stayed in the kitchen looking at the closed door of her room.

I didn't know how would I feel if suddenly, after nine months of sleeping in my bed, she decided she didn't need me anymore. Casually the day she started dating the boy she told she wouldn't.

I didn't have to think about how would that feel, her door opened and she exited it without contacts, wearing my hoodie and her plaid pajama pants. Iria walked past me to go to the fridge, my eyes lit up when she opened it but it didn't last much, she just grabbed some water then left the glass she used to drink on the counter and went to my room without saying anything.

Before following her I went to the bathroom to take off the contacts too.

I opened the room's door to find Iria laid on my bed with the phone, she didn't smile at the screen as she did when she texted Tristan, instead she had a neutral expression while her thumbs typed.