[37: Selfish]

~To The Story~

Karma still refuses to go back home.

Despite the passing of a week, his anger remains unabated. While it is an option for him to stay at Nagisa's house, he is unwilling to endure the constant glares of his mother. Although he can withstand her gaze, his current state of distress precludes any tolerance for it.

Currently, the girl he's rooming with is fine. It's conveniently located near school, and she doesn't tend to be clingy too much like the other girls he previously saw.

It was even near his house, making getting there much more accessible. He was on his way back there when he suddenly heard a familiar voice.

"Pl-please just let me go."

When Karma turned to the next corner, he halted in surprise when he spots his friend. It was Okuda, but she wasn't alone. Two big-looking delinquents were harassing her. One of them was even grabbing her arm.

"Oh great, you're gonna cry now?" One of the troublemakers huffed in annoyance.

"Who the hell even are you? I've never seen you around these streets."

Okuda was too shaken up to give out a proper word, let alone a sentence.

"I-I... Uh." The poor girl was on the verge of crying. Any longer, and she would probably faint due to fear.

Fortunately for her, help was literally around the corner. The one grabbing Okuda suddenly felt someone place a hand on his shoulder threateningly. When he looked over his shoulder, his eyes were met with a vicious glare.

"Let her go, and I won't break your legs," Karma threatens.

"Eek!" Okuda squeaked and even her braids jumped with fear. She didn't want Karma getting into a fight in broad daylight. "Karma-kun, I'm okay!" She tried to get him to calm down.

The man let go of Okuda to size up Karma.

"Who do you think you're talking to, brat?"

"Ah-- sorry." The second guy must have realized who Karma was and stepped forward to grab his friend. "We didn't know she was your friend." He dragged him away, much to the first guy's confusion.

Of course, it didn't take them long for them to both run for the hill when his friend told the other guy who Karma was.

When Karma ensured they weren't coming back, he looked at the small bespectacled girl.

"You okay?" He asks gently.

"Ah, yeah. Thanks." She smiles weakly, still shaken up from what just occurred.

"My house is close by," he reminds her. "You can't be around here. There are lots of guys like them who harass people just for walking into their 'space.'"

"I-I know." She admits as she fixes her glasses. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to see you."

After hearing this, Karma's eyes soften, and he exhales deeply.

"Why are you here anyways?" He asks.

"A-ah, right." She fumbled for a bit before taking a couple of sheets of paper from her bag and giving it to him. "Today's assignment."

Karma received the papers and promptly scanned through them. He then shifted her attention to Okuda. "Thanks, but you should have asked Nagisa to come with you."

"I know... but." She fiddled with her fingers. "I guess I was kinda in a hurry and didn't bother to find him. You weren't at school today again, so I was worried."