Chapter 14

ELIZABETH WAS DISGUSTED WITH THE LACK of food in the tower.

Actually, let's rephrase that.

Elizabeth was disgusted with the lack of good food in the tower.

There were boxes and boxes of poptarts and mac and cheese, ramen, hostess pastries, and carton orange juice. But there was a lack of fresh fruit, eggs, and milk.

She slammed the refrigerator door closed in disgust. "Does nobody eat properly in this tower?"

"No, they really don't." The female Irish AI that she'd forgotten the name of answered her. "They mostly run on caffeine and sugar. I'd say last night was the first real meal they've had in months."

Elizabeth nearly shuddered. "Great, so grocery shopping first thing. Where do I do that?"

"There's a H market down the street, but if you would prefer real food, there is an Amish kitchen about fifteen minutes from here." The AI answered.

"Thank you. . . what was your name again?" Elizabeth asked.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y." F.R.I.D.A.Y. answered.

"Right, thank you F.R.I.D.A.Y." Elizabeth said gratefully. She thought about writing out a list of what she needed, but taking a look around, it looked like they needed everything.

"You're welcome. Also, Mr. Stark has a card for you in your room that you can use to buy groceries, clothing, and accessories with." F.R.I.D.A.Y. said. "You may use this if you need to or want to."

"A card?" Elizabeth asked curiously as she headed back to the elevator and up to her room to grab a jacket.

"A credit card. It has unlimited payments on it." F.R.I.D.A.Y. replied.

"Oh." Elizabeth replied. She knew, of course, what a credit card was, but had never used one. Where she had lived, you either paid in cash, or you traded in food depending on who you were dealing with. "I don't think I need it."

She made a mental note to take it along just in case, however.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., do you have map directions of how to get to this Amish market?" Elizabeth asked.

"Yes. I just printed them out. They'll be in the main room downstairs before you leave the tower." F.R.I.D.A.Y. replied. "Mr. Stark left the card in the top drawer of the bedside table."

"Thanks a lot." Elizabeth said. "I don't know if you do this sort of thing, but if anyone is wondering where I am, can you just tell them where I went?"

"Of course. Have a pleasant shopping trip." the AI responded.

"Well," Elizabeth muttered. "That might've been the nicest conversation I've had with anyone since I've gotten here."

She shrugged on a black leather jacket to combat the northern fall weather. It would not have been nearly this cold on the farm. She grabbed her purse, checking to make sure that she had at least $400 on her before she also grabbed the card, putting it in the bottom of her purse.

She headed downstairs, finding the printed instructions in the printer, still warm. And then she headed outside into the weather.

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ

YOU MANAGED TO MAKE YOUR WAY DOWN to the kitchen, your legs and thighs still sore from last nights exercises. You had woken up in only Bucky's embrace and you knew both Steve and Sam had taken off on their run.

Hogun was down in the kitchen already with Loki, Nat, and Wanda. Vision was there as well, though he was in the room conjoined to the kitchen since he didn't eat. No one else was around. You suspected Tony and Bruce were in the lab, Clint was most likely still sleeping, and Stephen was either at the Sanctorum or in the library.